The Harvest: Color Correction Choice

Started by
5 comments, last by riuthamus 8 years, 11 months ago

I spent most of the day working on creating some color correction features. Yesterday we spent 8 hours on livestream working through the pigs animations, farmers animations, and some custom models for the barn. I wanted to see what your thoughts were on the different formats and see what best fits our game:

COLOR CORRECTION 01:

CC01.jpg

COLOR CORRECTION 02:

CC02.jpg

COLOR CORRECTION (NONE):

CCOrigin.jpg

Advertisement

Do you have time of day / weather / seasons in your game? #1 make me feel like the weather is dry, and #2 makes me feel like it's a cold climate smile.png

There will be indeed time of day/weather/seasons. All of those will effect the climate. Right now the goal is the normal (not too hott not too cold) setup.

The impression I get from the image is that the first is indoor lighting and the second is outdoor lighting, both enhance the feeling of the game.

If however have to make a choice I would say that personally I like number 2 better.

The original fells more like natural daylight to me.

Looks great and I would prefer 01, because the game have a happy mood and should therefor utilize warm colors in my opinion.

Some ideas coming to mind which could improve the overall look beyond changing the color correction:

1. I would change the color composition of the base scene (before applying color correction) to a harmonic color pallet. You have a lot of colors in here now (red barn,green grass, yellowish ground, grey wall, blue sky ). Something from red-orange to yellow up to yellow-green, even for the sky.

2. Avoid grey, the walls in the background fill in a large portion of the scene, still it is background, therefor it should not be too prominent.

3. From a technical view I would avoid specular highlights (wall again). In my opinion a "dry, paper look" you can archive by using just pastel colors, AO and diffuse lighting is always a good start.

Asham, good comments as usual. Most of those things are not in place. I have done the UV work but not actually textured them. In fact, in this picture the only thing textured with final quality is the NPC's and the PC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement