How to get people to test your game engine?

Started by
5 comments, last by thatguyfromthething 8 years, 10 months ago

Hello!

I am in the process of finishing up a simple 2D game engine and am looking for some other people to test / use it. It is has some prebuilt templates for the most common 2D types of games and includes audio, visuals, networking, and etc. Basically it is a simplified engine allowing you to build 2D games with a very small learning curve and doesn't include all the bulkyness that other engines have like unity and Unreal.

I guess my question is where would you guys suggest to find people interested in trying out the engine for feedback and etc. Do I pay people?

Thanks!

rolleyes.gif

Advertisement
You're supposed to show that your engine stands out among the many alternatives by eating your own dog food and making one or more complete games using your engine and using them to highlight your engine's strengths and also weaknesses (or lack thereof). Just saying it's "simplified" or it "has a small learning curve" doesn't really cut it when someone is trying to pick an engine to work with, he'll see all those awesome games made in Unity or Unreal and that's what's going to drive his decision. Your engine may be awesome but unless you get people hooked on to it by marketing it you won't get many users.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I guess my question is where would you guys suggest to find people interested in trying out the engine for feedback and etc. Do I pay people?

Create a reference game.

This will reveal lot of issues and it willl be a foundation for others to use your engine.

Thank you guys for the feedback! I will be displaying a demo game that was built on the engine as well as the example code to help show how the system works! I will keep this post updated as progress moves on with it! :D

you made me somehow curious what your 2d engine would do better than cocos2d :)

you made me somehow curious what your 2d engine would do better than cocos2d smile.png

Yeah, a comparison of your engine versus other popular 2d engines. Also a great website with forums/support/tutorials and ...videos (i personally hate them, but people seem to love them)

Set up website, forums, formal documentation and howto videos. Make it free to download and play with. Eventually you will get a following if there's a market for what you are doing.

I agree having a good game using it is a big draw, but many engines in the past managed to get a big following before that happened, if it ever did. But today the market is much more competitive.

This is my thread. There are many threads like it, but this one is mine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement