I would like to create a board game for mobile devices.
I have no knowledge whatsoever on game development and what platform as well as engine is the best for these kind of things especially board games.
I don't have much details about the game itself and because of this I don't really know what engine fits the best to the game, I don't even know whether I want to make it 2D or 3D but I prefer 3D.
My programming knowledge is very rich.
I know the following languages: C#, JavaScript/TypeScript, Lua, Java, C++.
My comfort zone is C# because it was the language I used most for the last 12 years but my background goes back to Pascal and C++ so I can pick on any language and platform.
I want to start developing the game for Android and then gradually support more platforms/devices.
My questions are as follow:
- What is the best way to prototype games? what acceptable methods are used? what are your own methods to do that?
- I'm not a graphic designer or anything close so how do I create the graphic assets of the game like the board and all the different objects? is there a way to make this process "easier" for a programmer?
- I know about Unity but for a single developer that just starting is it a good choice?
- What are the benefits of using C++ in short-run and long-run? are there any challenges? my C++ is not that great but I definitely look for a fun project to improve it and this might be a good one to do it. :)