Hiding Company Nationality

Started by
11 comments, last by SeanMiddleditch 8 years ago

I've noticed a few software companies purposefully avoid declaring their nationality on their websites, presumably to dodge prejudice and level the ground of competition. Some companies even set up offices in the united states and even hire Americans for user support and public relations, while the software itself is developed abroad or by people of another nationality. How do you feel about that? Do you think the nationality of the developer can affect the initial perceived quality of a piece of software?

Well, point in case: My main 3D Software is developed by a russian company (At least the main developer and founder is russian AFAIK), the games I play most are developed by a belorussian company, a lot of my most used Unity 3rd party assets are developed by people from eastern europe.

I couldn't be more happy by the software/Games, and the support from the devs.

Yet when I tell someone here in the west that what I use here has been developed in russia or <insert eastern european country here> (yes, or belorussia... I am NOT mixing you with the russians :) ), 50% of the times I get puzzled looks and sceptism ("aren't you afraid of viruses or getting hacked?"), 50% carefully optimistic amazament ("Oh, so the russians are actually developing such advanced software/games?")...

Yes, I am not talking about people really working in tech, or really up to date with modern times (using facebook 24/7 does not make you up to date)... in the tech world, there most probably is less such prejudice. But outside, it is still there. "The russian" is still seen as the hacker, the guy distributing viruses and all.

So I cannot blame anyone for trying to hide their nationality in the IT industry currently. I hope these prejudices die a horrible death in the future, because they are no longer rooted in reality, if they ever were. But right now it is still a burden having to admit that your company is based in one of the eastern european countries or one of the ex-soviet republics when trying to do business in the west.

Advertisement

Ok, hiding your nationality could matter if you want to market yourself in a region who happens to be bigoted against your nationality.

(regardless if you are a US guy selling in Russia, or a Pakistani selling in India)

I guess that might be a bigger or smaller problem depending on what nationality you have...

But when you sell your game in literally every single country in the world (yes, even that tiny African country), this fixation with nationality just seems curious and outdated... I'm sure most people in the industry just don't care, they are used to working with people from all over the world in different capacities.

So that's why they don't show a huge flag and whatever national animal they like on their front page, they just write "Here is our software", and if anyone really cares (like they want to visit or something) you can just check the "about us" page and see an address, or check company registration, or just ask...

Yet when I tell someone here in the west that what I use here has been developed in russia or <insert eastern european country here> (yes, or belorussia... I am NOT mixing you with the russians :) ), 50% of the times I get puzzled looks and sceptism ("aren't you afraid of viruses or getting hacked?"), 50% carefully optimistic amazament ("Oh, so the russians are actually developing such advanced software/games?")...

OK, first, Belarus is the the name of the country; there's no such thing called Belorussia. :P

Second, anecdotal experiences don't mean much. You seem fixated on what are likely very isolated cases that don't seem to mesh well with the fact that Russian software and IT exports to Europe and the US are booming. :)

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement