Have I been aged out of the industry? And where else can I go?

Started by
47 comments, last by frob 7 years, 10 months ago
What were your specializations in the industry? Graphics? Simulation? Optimization? Were you more of a generalist?

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

Generalist, trying to lean toward networking and A.I. - except my employers refused to let me do the latter for some reason.

I'm interested in getting a paycheck in an environment where I won't be immediately ostracized.
What I was hoping for was that someone who had additionally more out-of-industry experience could tell me what area of the computer programming field in general my skills would fit best in if I needed to change direction, and what other skills I would need if I chose to follow that path.

You may not be able to tell me where I should go, buy maybe you can tell me where I can go, where my skills are most wanted - and then I can choose from there.

Given these further updates, I STRONGLY recommend reading (or re-reading) a recent edition of the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?". Three specific things in the book I'll call out: First, the book talks about how to effectively engage in a "non-traditional job hunt", since the current idea of a "traditional job hunt" is generally to spam out resumes. These are more important as you get older since they help you overcome age discrimination and other factors. Second, the book has a segment called the Flower Diagram, where you follow some guides to figure out what transferrable skills you have, but also aspect about employers that you really want. Figuring out your passions is important, it turns your career into much more than just a paycheck. Third, the book discusses ways to transition your career from one industry to another, or from one job title to another. This sounds like something you want to do as well.

Working through the exercises in the flower diagram takes some time, but it really is worth it to identify where your passions are, and then letting them serve as a guide to your future.

As for non-game areas that use game developer skills, there are quite a few:

* Military simulations (many former co-workers are working as government contractors for simulating all kinds of environments)
* Medical imaging (many co-workers moved to the industry, including some using Unity and LibGDX for medical displays. Medical scans use lots of images and volumetric data but need programmers who understand how to work with the data)
* Related media like TV and movies (I spent nearly two years working on TV news display software)
* Education and training software (I spent a few years on interactive meeting polling software)
* Graphics editors and tools (several former co-workers now working for Autodesk and for Adobe)
* Property remodeling visualization or architecture visualization, such as "bring in your kitchen measurements and we'll make a simulated remodeled kitchen".
* Oil companies want visualizations and simulations, I was once surprised to learn they relied heavily on former game developers and game technologies.
* Chemical companies run all kinds of scientific simulations, but executives and marketers want interactive mini-game style simulations based on the scientist results.
* Law firms often contract out certain presentations for game-like visualizations of crime scenes and walkthroughs of virtual environments.
* etc.

There are many industries that use the same tools and technologies as games. There are industries that use the same techniques but different tools. There are even the industries that create the tools and equipment games use.

If you work through the "What Color Is Your Parachute?" book flower diagram you may discover there are many industries that are not games but still lie within your "fields of fascination" as the book calls them, or as some of us around here call it, following your passions. You may discover that while you like simulations and AI, you may also enjoy something else like auto engines, then realize you might look for a job in future auto technology.

I know someone who loved digital signal processing and mechanical data processing, and he was also interested in construction. He ended up co-creating products where heavy chains are dragged across a bridge by a vehicle and hammers hit the structure at various locations. The sound, vibrations, and other digital signals are processed to analyze structural integrity of the bridge, discover weak points, and provide all kinds of engineering data. He took the things he enjoyed and was passionate about and built it into a successful product.

You write your main thing is to get a paycheck and I completely understand that. The paycheck is the primary reason for working, and if the paychecks stop I immediately begin looking for new paychecks. But there is also your life energy and your passion and your life fulfillment, these are important too.

DoctorGlow: ... Do you know what the current retention period is? I thought it was six months, but if it's three, I have to resend them all again.

It depends on the company, some keep 3 month, and some can do it up to a year. I would contact company again in about 6 month as a rule of thumb.

passion

I do not have passion - passion is too fickle and unreliable to be appropriate in the workplace. I got laid off from my last place of employment because too many people with "passion" didn't do their job. I would never hire a person with "passion".

I have determination - determination will drive through any problem under any condition and get the work done. People with determination get things done before deadlines. People with determination will not get distracted by petty office politics or the latest tech craze and delay your project.

Now, stating that, your parachute book looks like it is not appropriate for my situation - I don't have "passions" or "fields of fascination", and I do not have the resources to spare chasing dreams. I need a no-nonsense job where I satisfy the needs of the employer and we skip the whole "passions" and "life fulfillment" part of the relationship. Such things are for wealthy, resource-rich people - I don't nor ever will have that luxury.

If you can't relate to what I'm saying, do you think you can point me in the direction of someone who would? I seem to be having a communications problem here; I'm doing this with zero resources except a rapidly-dwindling severance, and time is running out.

I am 41 years old, with 10 years of industry experience. I was laid off three months ago, and am having severe difficulty getting even another interview, much less another job. I've been reading a couple posts on this board, and some have indicated that programmers are "aged out" of the industry as early as 32 years old. What are the chances of me being able to get a job in this industry? And where else can I get employment if I am being foisted out?

I am skilled in C/C++/C#, Python and Lua. I have some web knowledge (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) but don't know what to learn from there (outside of maybe JQuery) as there are too many "technologies" to count. I know a little SQL - I'm certain I can master that in no time if I can get a paycheck from it. I learned Java before it became popular but never used it because it wasn't popular when I learned it, so my knowledge is likely outdated by now. Is there any industry that can take advantage of my skills - and overlook the fact that I'm re-entering as an effective Junior at my "advanced" age?

P.S. is there a way to search these forums? I hope I haven't posted a question recently asked...

If you don't care about passion and want a steady paycheck, I'd say apply to web development positions with C#/Jquery (just say you know it. It's easy)/SQL (again. Pretty easy) requirements. There should be many positions open, and you get to work with a great/common technology stack.

Game development is as much an art form as it is a programming exercise.

Art without passion is not art, if you don't have passion for it perhaps it isn't right for you?

A wise man once said "do a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life".

You give me the impression of someone who doesn't see work as something to be enjoyed and is rather something to endure to get home and spend time with family. Personally I enjoy both, I love my job and I love my family and spending time with them even more.

Have you perhaps become jaded through a long life of toil, bad projects, annoying users and stupid requirements?

I've worked with people who were only there for a paycheck and had no passion and I found those people very hard to relate with. Determination carries you forwards when the passion is gone... When you've spent a week trying to fix that damn bug and all hope is gone and frustration abounds. To be inspired though and not just "blindly follow what is asked" i've always found that passion and inspiration are 100% needed in any career.

Good luck in your job search! :)

You give me the impression of someone who doesn't see work as something to be enjoyed and is rather something to endure to get home and spend time with family.

Have you perhaps become jaded through a long life of toil, bad projects, annoying users and stupid requirements?

I see life as something to endure - I continue living only to spite my enemies.

I have become jaded thanks to a lifetime of predators attacking me since toddlerhood, and what few people I thought were my allies turn traitor at the most damning opportunity.

I program because it is the strongest skill I know, and the only skill in demand enough where someone might overlook their hatred of the other enough to hire me. But even that is coming to a close - people have grown to hate the other so much I have become unemployable.

I suppose it makes no difference now - I have been priced out of the apartment market, and will be homeless come September. I am guaranteed not to get a job then.

If you don't care about passion and want a steady paycheck, I'd say apply to web development positions with C#/Jquery (just say you know it. It's easy)/SQL (again. Pretty easy) requirements. There should be many positions open, and you get to work with a great/common technology stack.

Would just C#/JQuery/SQL be enough to start? I see a lot of technologies with weird names in those resumes - I can't possibly learn them all, and I don't know which to choose.

And who would hire a now-junior web developer at 40?

It's not your age (you're way younger than me). You just need to get that depression under control, nobody needs that around the workplace, and trust me, interviewers see it right away.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement