How can I protect my work?

Started by
9 comments, last by Khaled125 7 years, 8 months ago
Hello! I was wandering how can I protect my game from someone else using it forvtheir own advantages, examples..

1- A team member stealing the app and using it for his sole advantage

2- Some one re uploading the game on another store, site, or one of his own

And such conditions, I have heared about copyright but iam not a us citezin do I even need that particular copyright or..?

By the way, iam sorry if this was in the wrong section

Thank you for your replies! :)
Yours: Khaled
Advertisement
Moving to business and law section of the site.

Copyright protections and other intellectual property rights are covered by international treaties around the globe. Nearly every country has the same protections. There are some variations from country to country, but the international treaties make the protections more or less uniform.

You automatically get certain protections instantly and automatically. Some governments require an additional registration step before you can enforce the rights in the courts, but you still own the rights.

Copyright protects both of the things you mentioned. There are other intellectual property rights that cover additional protections. Copyright protects the author of a work, who automatically has exclusive rights to distribute, perform, publish, and sell the work, as well as the rights to create derivative works. Exclusive means that other people cannot do those things without permission.

For teammates you need to ensure that rights are assigned to a business or the leader of the group generally through a rights assignment or an employment agreement, or you need to ensure that rights are shared with others in the group through a collaboration agreement. Without agreements in place each person individually owns their tiny piece of the system and nobody can use the whole thing unless everyone agrees since each person individually owns the rights to their individual pieces.
Alright, thanks but two questions to explain things..

Copyright protects the author of a work, who automatically has exclusive rights to distribute, perform, publish, and sell the work, as well as the rights to create derivative works. Exclusive means that other people cannot do those things without permission.

How do I 'reclaim' my work? Seeing for example some one just stole it and puplished it or so, what am I supose to do? Sue him in which court? /country? Or go to the place he puplished such things.. Etc..

For teammates you need to ensure that rights are assigned to a business or the leader of the group generally through a rights assignment or an employment agreement, or you need to ensure that rights are shared with others in the group through a collaboration agreement. Without agreements in place each person individually owns their tiny piece of the system and nobody can use the whole thing unless everyone agrees since each person individually owns the rights to their individual pieces.

How can I make such agreement?

Now I do fully relize iam suposed to speak with a laywer but untill I actually need one I would rather have some insights to be on the safe side than just going to give my apps to strangers or watch as they rob me ha!
Apart from that, thanks for replying
Bumb, questions still not answered

how can I protect my game from someone else using it forvtheir own advantages, examples..
1- A team member stealing the app and using it for his sole advantage
2- Some one re uploading the game on another store, site, or one of his own
I have heared about copyright but iam not a us citezin do I even need that particular copyright or..?

Khaled, it's unlikely that someone will do either of those things, but if someone wants to do that, there
is no way to stop them. Copyright law gives you the right to take an infringer to court. It's expensive,
though. Your best bet is to (1) make sure any contributors to your project sign a collaboration agreement
or an assignment of rights, and (2) stamp your copyright on your original intellectual property as early
as you can - these things you an edge if you ever do have to go to court. You should consult an attorney,
if you are going to go in this direction.

3. How do I 'reclaim' my work? Seeing for example some one just stole it and puplished it or so, what am I
supose to do? Sue him in which court? /country?
4. How can I make such agreement?

3. Yes. Sue him in court. In your own country.
4. With an attorney's help. Read these:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson39.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article58.htm
and these books:

The Game Inventor's Handbook (2nd Edition - Original title: Game Plan)
by Steve Peek
1993, Better Way Books; ISBN 1-55870-315-2

Patent, Copyright & Trademark; An Intellectual Property Desk Reference
by Stephen Elias & Richard Stim. Nolo.com (Nolo Press), ISBN 0-87337-601-3

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Excellent! Thank you so much for your input
However

it's unlikely that someone will do either of those things, but if someone wants to do that, thereis no way to stop them. Copyright law gives you the right to take an infringer to court. It's expensive,though.

I understand these are not likely but if a bad team mate does so and there is no way to stop them, I just watch..?
And if I did win the thing they do pay for all the courts expenses as far as I have read, neverless thank you again for your input that was extremly helpful, Ill sure use your advise when making a team, I need to clear a point though as I stated in the first post, I would use a lawyer for sure if ran into any of these issues, these are all purely trivial questions so iam more prepared and know what to do if I ran into any issue and confirming things.

Have a nice day now, sir

I understand these are not likely but if a bad team mate does so and there is no way to stop them,
I just watch..?

What else can you do? Write a good agreement when starting the project. If a team member violates the
agreement, and even steals your game (doing a better job than you of publishing it and making money)
then he did it, but maybe you didn't "watch" him while he was doing it but rather discovered it after
the fact. YES, it's frustrating if that happens. But you have to act within the law.

I understand these are not likely but if a bad team mate does so and there is no way to stop them,I just watch..?

What else can you do? Write a good agreement when starting the project. If a team member violates theagreement, and even steals your game (doing a better job than you of publishing it and making money)then he did it, but maybe you didn't "watch" him while he was doing it but rather discovered it afterthe fact. YES, it's frustrating if that happens. But you have to act within the law.
yes. agreements and stuff first, got ya.
Requesting lock? Unless topics aren't ment to

Requesting lock? Unless topics aren't ment to

Are you saying your questions have been answered sufficiently, and you do not wish any further discussion
on your questions?

One thing other posters didn't mention is that you don't have to go immediately to court if you don't want to. If you want to recover money, then you will need to get a lawyer but generally most websites, and every major website has copyright policies. Basically you just have to send complaint to the websites designated agent (usually listed in either the terms of use/service or the website policies section) and request that the infringing content be removed. Most websites will jump on that because if they don't they can lose immunity from lawsuits. The accused infringer can fight it, but unless they really think they own the rights they wont try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement