Pixel Art Pro

Started by
11 comments, last by DanXS72 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi All,

If you are a game artist who likes to work with pixel art and create all your animations yourself rather than 3D rendering etc. Then Pixel Art Pro might be just the tool you need to create pixel art on the go. It supports features not available on other similar apps for the iPad and iPhone. For example creating layers and frames, playing back animations and exporting to tile sheets, or importing tile sheets for your games. The app is probably more suited to character design and animation than level design as it isn't a level editor, but it is easy to use and handy when you are not at your desktop but want to do some pixel art. Give it a try, let me know what you think and if you like it please rate it on app store - sorry no android or windows phone versions at present.

Here is usage video showing how to import your tiles into an animation from your photo's:

Here is the a link to the app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixel-art-pro/id1159112548?ls=1&mt=8

Cheers, Dan

Advertisement
It supports features not available on other similar apps for the iPad and iPhone.

That is indeed the problem, it is the same as many others, the only thing this app has going for it is the name, most people looking for a mobile pixel art tool will find it in there search results.

No experienced artist will use it as there are hundreds like it and a lot of better ones.

It supports features not available on other similar apps for the iPad and iPhone.

That is indeed the problem, it is the same as many others, the only thing this app has going for it is the name, most people looking for a mobile pixel art tool will find it in there search results.

No experienced artist will use it as there are hundreds like it and a lot of better ones.

Have you tried using it?

Have you tried using it?

It is a shame, I built this app because I couldn't find any apps that were actually useful or had features like animation or handled tile sheet import/export. In terms of search apple actually made it really hard to get to, several pages of scrolling through the app store using the search term "pixel art" below many really basic bad pixel art apps. I've had like 10 downloads in more than a week so I'm trying to introduce some people to it via forums. Negative troll like responses are really not very useful especially when it is very unlikely you are one of the 10 people that has actually downloaded it.

Have you tried using it?

No haven't downloaded but did check the vid and all it shows is that you focused on the interface instead of a good workflow. Don't get me wrong a good interface helps, however I am willing to struggle with a bad interface to get good results.

I will also only buy an app if it looks worth buying, if you had a trail that would be different.

When working with pixel tools there are a few things I look for:

Ways to reduce the amount I need to draw, for example your app allows a artist to draw spheres into a image however they will need to copy and paste it into each image or redraw it; that is a bad workflow and many graphic editors allow for better workflow.

Simple ways to animate. Spine and many other 2D animation software allow bones to pose and animate, even the ones where you draw each frame(Like flip book, that is an app that I have) allows a transparent overlay to show how the previous frames work.

A way to plan animations. Again overlay can work here the bone animation types allow you to see the curves of the animations and allows you to correct it.

like animation or handled tile sheet import/export

Tile sheets are often constructed outside of the app as this allows for composing, there is more to a tile sheet than just sticking images on a piece of paper. Your tile sheets shown in the video didn't even meet "the power of two" standard that most game engines use.

search term "pixel art"

Experienced animators won't include "pixel art" in there search because any animation tool can make pixel art, you just need to use a small image size. If you want to be a pixel art tool then think of reason people that make pixel art would prefer your tool over normal animation software.

At the moment you have a grid, that helps. It's strange how many other animation tools forget this.

I've had like 10 downloads in more than a week so I'm trying to introduce some people to it via forums.

Artist will tell others of new good tools they find, we do this often we all want an edge. Make a good tool and more people will use it.

Negative troll like responses are really not very useful especially when it is very unlikely you are one of the 10 people that has actually downloaded it.

If this is how you feel when getting such a small amount of critique then don't post on forums advertise instead.

As a artist I make a living on critique, it hurts in the beginning because someone insults some thing you created. That is only what it feels like, in truth I am just point out your weak points, they will always exist no matter how hard you try.

If you are smart you will use critique to find things you can improve, you are a creator now and as such you have a responsibility to what you made, you can't stumble over every flaw pointed out to you.

The apps larges flaw is that I won't replace any software I already have with it. As a professional artist I keep a lot of software and can't just add a new one with out good reason and this isn't better than any thing I have.

Also don't do that thing where you say it isn't a tool designed for professionals, all that does is tell people that you hope to scam a few new artist into buying some thing they don't need and won't be using a few years from now.

Even tools aimed at hobby artist find there way into a professionals hands, because all artist are looking for the same thing: a easy to use tool that delivers good results fast.

If you are a game artist who likes to work with pixel art and create all your animations yourself rather than 3D rendering etc.

Hi. I don't understand this statement, it sounds like you mean that 3D animation isn't somehow created by the artist, which is not true.

I wouldn't mention 3D at all in your promotional blurb to avoid people reading it that way.
Moving to Your Announcements.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you are a game artist who likes to work with pixel art and create all your animations yourself rather than 3D rendering etc.

Hi. I don't understand this statement, it sounds like you mean that 3D animation isn't somehow created by the artist, which is not true.

I wouldn't mention 3D at all in your promotional blurb to avoid people reading it that way.

I'm just saying some people like drawing in 2D and some people like to do 3D modelling - whatever man, if you want to try it, try it, if you guys want to just give me shit over everything you can think of then just forget it. I built the thing for you artists, if you don't want to use it don't use it. No need to be slag me and my app off - you don't have to like it, but at least appreciate that i spent more than a month building the thing and I'm just trying to get a few downloads otherwise i'm wasting my time.

You are being too defensive.
I wrote that as constructive criticism, your text is the first thing people will see.
It needs to read flawlessly. Good luck.

You are being too defensive.
I wrote that as constructive criticism, your text is the first thing people will see.
It needs to read flawlessly. Good luck.

Any potential luck I might have had from here was already sabotaged by shouting ninja on his first comment which was not constructive at all, he only started to be constructive when I replied. Your comment might have been slightly constructive, but really I didn't plan a marketing pitch, i just posted it to let you know about it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement