Stick Soldiers

Started by
761 comments, last by AdmiralBinary 21 years ago
OK, Release 3:

Jump key changed to either Alt (Dude, the first time I ever heard of VK_MENU!)
Sniper Rifle "Laser Sight" made longer.

Hints and Tips:

Use the console with care - there are a lot of unsafe commands around. For instance, if you try to load a map that does not exist, the game will crash

You can also create new blank maps to edit. Just (from the menu screen) bring down the console and type in: EDIT 1200 800

1200 is width, 600 is height. Width MUST be >= 800 and height MUST be >= 600. I once tried creating a map 5000x5000. I got 4fps. I think 1200x800 is the ''safe'' maximum

F and H relocate the flag (F) and stand (H) to the mouse co-ordinates.

If you want to scroll in edit mode, press space and the screen will center on your current mouse position.

To change the maximum number of players allowed in your map, go to the console and type: SETN MAXCLIENTS 8

8 can be any number, of course.

Also, you can save your map: SAVE DATA\MAPS\MYMAP.MAP

If you save it there, the game will add it to the list when it next starts up.

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
Advertisement
dude, that is one very cool game, i especially like the black and white graphics, its makes it look simple and adds to the game.

i was getting ~100fps, sometimes just over...

athlon 1.4ghz, GF2 256, 256mbs ram running winme.

good work on the game.

perhaps adding something like jetpack thing would be cool, so you can just fly up high, shoot down on people until you run out of fuel. mines would be cool as well
quote:perhaps adding something like jetpack thing would be cool, so you can just fly up high, shoot down on people until you run out of fuel. mines would be cool as well

Great idea! Maybe if someone shot u while u were using the jetpack, the jetpack would explode. Hehe, I like this stage in the development of a game - when ur past the nitty-gritty engine development and u r free to add features, features, features. Thanx for that bezzant.

---------------

holy mother fucker, that game is fun! Great job, man!
Bezzant suggested that I add a jetpack to the game, so I have. On grounds of playability I have decided not to make you explode if you are shot while wearing it. However, you will discover that it will explode under certain conditions...

The jetpack is currently only available on the Stairs map, but feel free to add it to whatever maps u want to (press 9 while in the editor). You can activate it by pressing and holding Control.

Have...more fun

---------------

Very nice game, good job and good luck with it. You could take it pretty far. And I agree, the graphics style rocks.
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!
Thanx for the input so far everyone. I have just uploaded the latest version (1.4 I think) and it just fixes a bug where the jetpack accelerates slower on slower PCs.

I am planning on releasing this freeware on CNet or ZDNet, but I just don''t think Vertigo, Stairs and Test are gonna cut it. So if anyone wants to design some maps, plz e-mail me or post here. If you have any questions about the editor etc. please don''t hesitate to ask... I think we''ll need at least 8 good maps before we release it. I understand that this is not exactly the kind of job that ppl would jump at, but if you have some spare time on your hands and would like to get your name in the credits as level designer - UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU!

P.S. If anyone expresses interest in the above "job", I''ll post a map-making tutorial here.

---------------

HOLY SHIT! This is amazing. No further comment.

Oh one thing I would suggest (so I lied ) is make it so you can aim and fire with the mouse, if possible. This would make aiming a lot more intuitive and easier.

(edit)
What I mean is not to move the crosshair as a cursor, but to move it up and down by moving the mouse up and down.

Edited by - Supernova on February 5, 2002 9:29:37 PM
How about a health bar?
quote:Oh one thing I would suggest (so I lied ) is make it so you can aim and fire with the mouse, if possible. This would make aiming a lot more intuitive and easier.

(edit)
What I mean is not to move the crosshair as a cursor, but to move it up and down by moving the mouse up and down.

Good idea. I''ll start work on that soon. It would be an option, though, rather than being the standard aiming method.

quote:How about a health bar?

I''ll discuss that with my co-worker and see what he says

BTW everybody, I just uploaded a new version. The main update is that the AI will now use the jetpack sometimes. Also, if a soldier with a jetpack is killed (not just hit), he will explode. This opens up some interesting possibilities for kamikaze-type tactics One more thing: You may have noticed by now that the jetpack will self-jettison when it runs out of fuel, and that upon impact with the ground it will explode. A "less suicidal" way of delivering your payload

---------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement