Stick Soldiers

Started by
761 comments, last by AdmiralBinary 21 years ago
Pentium 3 700
256 Megs of Ram
S3 Savage4 32 Meg Video Card

Maybe its just my computer or not, but the colission detection is off. I could fire an entire clip of AK-47 bullets into an opponent and they never died. Only the explosions could ever kill them.

Is it just me or is it designed this way?
Advertisement
quote:the menu mouse cursor is real jerky for me.

Hmmm...I don''t know what this is. The whole game is in one thread (I gotta admit, I haven''t looked into multithreading yet ) I''ll look into it though.

quote:uh-oh

i seem to be the first person this has happened to, but it wont work on my computer...
i have a 633mhz, 128 ram, win98, no special gfx card

when you double click on "stick soilders.exe" it shows a window for a split second and then quits.

This probably means that you don''t have DirectX installed. The game requires DirectX 5.0 or later (don''t laugh anybody - DX7 SDK is a big download ) Sorry about this, I should''ve put in an error message if it fails to initialize DirectX.

quote:The program doesn;t run on my computer. I have Windows 98 P3. Do I have to move around the folders or anything?

Are you sure that you have DirectX 5 or later? And no, you shouldn''t have to move anything.

quote:Game runs slow as molasses on my system: Win2kPro, 128MB RAM, 32MB VRAM, Rage Pro 2xAGP (crappy-ass card).

I''ll fiddle with my system and see if my GL drivers are up to date and so forth.

Erm...Win2K - what more can I say? Maybe it''s something to do with DX5 and Win2K?

quote:Phuu... was afraid it was someting with my sysytem (hardware).
Of course it''s not good that it run slow on win 2k machines but...

I''ll be updating my DirectX wrappers to use DX7 soon - maybe that will fix the Win2K compatibility thingy.

quote:heh, that jet pack is really cool

mines would be cool, but thinking about it with loads of mines everywhere it would be a bit difficult to do anything with blowing up

the AI seems better, they kicking my ass, i have to lower there level with console.

WOW! The game WORKED on someone''s PC! BTW, the jetpack will have less smoke with a slower frame-rate (I''ll be fixing that soon).

quote:Pentium 3 700
256 Megs of Ram
S3 Savage4 32 Meg Video Card

Maybe its just my computer or not, but the colission detection is off. I could fire an entire clip of AK-47 bullets into an opponent and they never died. Only the explosions could ever kill them.

Is it just me or is it designed this way?

Hmmm...What FPS are you getting? If it is below 60, then collision detection will be unreliable. I''ll see if I can upgrade the system to use ray-collision stuff (AI already uses that). Another possibility is that the enemy is standing on top of an armour spawn-point

I think I''ll just post the game specs so ppl might be able to see what the problem is on their particular PC:

My machine:
Athlon TBird 1.2
256mb RAM
32mb GF2 MX400
Win98SE (With very little clutter running in the background)

Game Specs:
800x600x32
DirectDraw 5
DirectSound 5

Runs at 100fps all the time on my machine.

Anyway, I''ll see what I can do about the Win2K thing. Any suggestions?

P.S. Some of you may have noticed this, but when u get your head shot off, you have five seconds before you decorate the landscape with your entrails. What you do with those 5 seconds could be the difference between life and death (Tip: Go for the most obvious "solution" ).

P.P.S. Just uploaded the latest version - you can now manually jettison your jet-pack by pressing Enter. Also, some of the maps have been changed and one has been added. AI has also been marginally improved (still doesn''t prevent lemming-style behaviour though lol). ...and the editor has been made slightly prettier. Press F12 to toggle edit mode. The edit bar at the bottom lets you select a powerup to place with the left mouse button. Press on a blank space on the edit bar to go back to platform-placing mode.

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.
i have directx 7.0 installed and it still wont run...
it just quits out at the start
quote:Original post by doogle
i have directx 7.0 installed and it still wont run...
it just quits out at the start

OK, did u say that you don''t have a special graphics card? It may be that it can''t handle 800x600x32 resolution. Sorry about that - I might try and make an option for 16bit colour.

quote:and yay another new zealander! where u from?

P.S. I''m from Dannevirke, but I''m not really a New Zealander - just here on permanent vacation from UK

---------------

Won''t run on my work pc... it''s a piece of crap though
I checked and it won''t do *any* 32 bit graphics. It''ll only do a 16 bit (565). It works great at home, and I''m running Win2k there too, so it''s definately not a win2k problem
I really *really* hope you make a 16 bit version! I was almost late to work this morning playing it!

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
quote:Original post by CrankDude
Sometimes all the animation looked real smooth, but most of the time the stickfigures movement was jerky looking. Animations like explosions and grenades seemed smooth all the time though. And it was real hard to aim, just tapping the up or down would make it jump a lot. But despite that stuff, its real cool, good job dude. Is this your first real game?
One last thing, do you animate with frames or are you doing some tricky physics animations?

About the aiming: This is a bug that I have fixed in the latest version (I think!). The movement of the aimer was not tied to the timer, so it would vary based on the FPS, but it should be ok now.

This isn''t our first real game - we have worked on several projects before this, but they have mostly been strategy games. This is, however, the first game that we have decided to "publish".

About the "tricky physics animations":
For the leg movement of the stick soldiers, we have used frame-based animation (look in the data\game folder and you''ll find two bitmaps called LTorso.bmp and RTorso.bmp ) However, for the explosions, we have used a different system. Lots of smoke is drawn, then an explosion pic is drawn on top of it.

Once again, thanx for the input/comments/suggestions everyone, and I''m sorry it didn''t work on some of your machines Anyway, it''s still beta, so I hope this''ll be sorted out soon.

---------------

The whole game is practically black and white. What''s the need for 32-bit color?
quote:The whole game is practically black and white. What''s the need for 32-bit color?

LOL - You do have a point there, but I''ve kinda got into the habit of using 32-bit colour ever since I got my GF2 I think it''s just the smoke that needs 32-bit, though I have tried it in 16-bit and it looks pretty much the same. I think if I used an optimized palette it could run just as well in 8-bit! Anyway, I''ve uploaded a version which lets you choose whether to run in 16-bit or 32-bit colour when the game starts up. BTW, would ppl prefer a command-line switch?

---------------

hey, great game man, i would also be very interested at getting a peak at the source, anyway, it runs great on my comp, no slow down ... ANYWHERE!!! im running t-bird 1.33 ghz(win 2k), 256 ram and geforce 2

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-
-= kill one you're a murderer, kill thousands you're a conquerer =-
okay me again, reporting my FPS, I have an Athlon 1.2ghz with 512mg ram and Geforce card. I get 75 FPS usually, not bad, runs smooth. The smoke by the way is really cool, i like it. This game would be awesome to play with friends over the internet. Just an Idea but I would LOVE TCP/IP play and more complex levels.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement