Nethack... nope, but something :)

Started by
238 comments, last by Paladin 21 years, 10 months ago
Argh... I have to continue somethings ;D

I''m thinking about drawing a map of the main island, that can be used to port between areas, like in Baldurs Gate. This will allow that the players can easily port between places, even during the war.

Novalis: could you also programm (later on) a feature, that will LOCK the battle between enemy and the player. This means, that if another players is trying to flee (simply, move away), another player keeps following the enemy automatically. This might be REALLY easy to program (well, the program just checks which way the enemy is moving, and makes the character to follow the enemy). This way the battle wouldn''t become too chaotic "who can write attack faster"

And about the speed of the Demo... hmm... I don''t have speed problems probably because I have 700mhz PIII with Riva TNT2

Novalis : do you think that you would need more people do to something special ? Do you need programming help ect. ?

Advertisement
Yes Paladin... I really like most of what you mentioned! I''m picturing a game where you *can* go of and just do quests if you like. Sometimes you can even get together with some friends (or strangers!) and do a quest together. And all this time you''ll be gaining levels.... But that''s been done by many other games... I think the really exciting part of this game will be the fact that you have to build a stronghold to sleep in and keep all your treasure in.

I like the good/bad idea to. Or even not necessarily good/bad, but just religion 1, religion 2, religion 3, ...etc. This should encourage people to build their strongholds together to help defend eachother. Somehow, we should try to figure out a way that you can "control" a piece of land without building on it. This will allow people to form "kingdoms" together where other people can''t build (without first attacking!). then you could have the kind of big holy wars you were talking about. I guess we''d have to say that when you build on a piece of land, you don''t own the land around it, but you "control" it, so only your friends can walk on it without facing some sort of consequence.
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Paladin: YES YES YES! I''ve been spending way too much time on this the last week or so I really need some more people to help with the code and graphics so I can do less. I don''t know how we''d collaborate though (in terms of editing the source code and all)... I''m using DevStudio.

Perhaps I could email the source code to others. Then they could make changes, and email it back to me to be merged into the master source?

Oh, and about the "island" you were talking about. Since the map itself (in terms of where there is water, where there are mountains, ...etc.) is generated procedurally, there really isn''t any way to "draw" an island. However, we could "pick" an island, and "draw" buildings onto it... Maybe I should do a map editor now?
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
On second thought, maybe someone else could write the map editor? Since it''s completely stand alone it would require no work from other then to tell whoever wrote it what the file formats are...
Since Novalis was kind enough to email me the demo (), I have placed it for download on my webspace here until he has somewhere else to post it. Hope you don''t mind, Novalis! Of course, it won''t have the latest changes made since he mailed it to me today, but it might save having to email it in the meantime.
OK, Novalis:

For the last demo version, create good documentation about your source codes and structures (functions and so on), and release it with source codes. The last demo version could be the version after this "2nd" version, version #3.
I''m will post a message over to help-wanted group, and tell about the situtation.

For everyone who are reading this topic right now, there are open places for coders who would like to express themselves, so let me know if you are interested
You can e-mail me to paladinfin@yahoo.com

About religion:
I''m preferring to create two main religions, that are simply darkness and lightness. These main religions would be like gods in Greese (hmm... spelling..):
There are main gods, who are really powerful, but chained to only live. These main gods have many childrends and who are known as half-gods, and have place in the heaven / hell. Also they have children, who live in earth, and elementals of godness, and REALLY powerful

Also, there are guilds that believe to something that is not as great, but it''s their own religion. Still, they believe to main gods, but they don''t pray for them. For an exampel, Dwarfes might believe to old legendary Dwarf hero, who saved the world ones against minions of the darkness, and told Dwarfes to hide inside the earth. Dwarfes probably are old friends of gods of lightness, but they will never accept help from minions of darkness, because they were allmost destroyed by them. Same with elves. THEN, there are guilds that are neutral, for an example, thieves guild, assasinators guild, knights guild, mage guild, and so on. These guilds do not pray for neither god, but server their master. Still, they don''t deny help from neither god. Then, there are evil guilds, that try to obtain chaos allover the world.

To add some twist, there are extremely powerful wizards, who have own objectives in the realm. These objectives might not be really clear, and maybe they never actually do anything during the time when AI controls them, but they have own fights against each other. Everyone wants to become the right hand of god, and they want to get powerful artifacts and/or acception from the gods.

It might be really nice to create the mapeditor now, and you are right about the island thing, there is no island
Island was just to describe the playing area.

BTW: What is DevStudio ? I have never heard about compiler with that name... ?

Is it possible to compile this code with DJGPP + maybe some addon packs ?

I wouldn''t like the idea that I would need to look for some damn warez version of VC++, and I cannot use VC++ before this upcoming summer, when I get back to home. (My dad has original)

Hmm... seems to be that this version doesn''t load up:

VQUEST caused an invalid page fault in
module VQUEST.EXE at 0187:00403441.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=00403441 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=78aa168c SS=018f ESP=0065fda8 EBP=0065fe38
ECX=00515f7c DS=018f ESI=78aa0908 FS=575f
EDX=004a36cc ES=018f EDI=78a9f8e0 GS=2a86
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 08 51 68 01 14 00 00 68 e1 80 00 00 68 00 01
Stack dump:
00403ca1 00000805 007e0680 0065fe38 00000000 00432a30 10003578 0065fe38 00000000 00000000 00550000 007e0680 00000004 00403ea5 00000000 38cead0c

I''m will continue trying.

OK, after rebooting the computer, this version still makes illegal operation, so you might want to check whats wrong... Anyone else have same problem ?

OK, after rebooting the computer, this version still makes illegal operation, so you might want to check whats wrong... Anyone else have same problem ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement