decided to have some fun: driveable vehicle :)

Started by
70 comments, last by RipTorn 21 years, 11 months ago
Ho man, was that ever fun! I was playing the first version for like 20 minutes, and then continued on down the post and found the SECOND version! I then commensed to play that for another 20 minutes. It''s so much fun! It reminds me of an old DOS game called Big Red Racing. Lotsa fun. For the next version, you should look into maybe adding a skybox. It''d be a nice change from the inky blackness in there now.

--Buzzy
Advertisement
Diego Rodriguez:
If you want a tutorial about car physics, then you could try:
http://home.planet.nl/~monstrous/

And there are probably loads of others floating around on the web.

RipTorn:
Very cool demo . But what are you supposed to do when you fall off the edge?

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
something i recon would be good would be a third person view lock so when you are driving the car you dont need to also turn the mouse yourself
RipTorn - it looks good, but i''m rarely getting an fps over 5. this is on a pentium 3 600, 128 ram, geforce 2 200mx 64mb on windows xp pro.
I''d really like to see what exactly all the fuss is about, but i cant get it even slightly playable
First version about 2fps on celeron 500+Voodoo3 2000 :-p

Second version doesn't work shows just light brown screen :-p

Maybe it's the not-so-capable Voodoo?

**************************** fault.log ****************************
Build 3206 Release (1288D 1918R) Build TimeStamp: Tue May 07 13:38:23 2002

Renderer Information:
Device: 3Dfx/Voodoo3 (tm)/2 TMUs/16 MB SDRAM/KNI/ICD (Jan 16 2001) (3Dfx Interactive Inc.)
Device API Version: 1.1.0

Error Code recorded: 'Invalid Value' (Renderer API Error Code)
(Note: Error codes are important, please note them down if reporting an error)
Error Occured between App States: Renderer Initialized -> Destroying Window

[edited by - stefu on May 9, 2002 4:01:18 PM]
Weird im getting at least 30fps on both demos. I have trouble with it not loading properly occasionally on the second demo (its just a grey square and if u accelerate i get dark grey particles show up but no terrain or car) but thats about it.

-ando15

P4 1.9Ghz
256mb RAM
GeForce 3 Ti200 64mb
Hmm.
ok.
I''ll look into all this.

It may be I''m using a GL 1.2 function call somewhere in the mix, which is causing some issues with some people. Does glDrawElements need GL 1.1 or 1.2? (I think it''s range elements than needs 1.2, but I''m probably wrong)

I''m also using glaux to draw the spheres, since I''m lazy (I really need to fix that)... which may also be screwing some people up. (it also means they dissapear when you run time fullscreen switch - F1 )

I think I''ll have to make a super debugger version. checking for GL errors ever few lines, or such.

I may also make it force using software texture decompression. That may clear some issues up. (it currently uses S3TC if detected - but thats only in version 2)

http://www.riptorn.8m.com
hi,
i tried this demo, and although i''ve seen some nice comments about it''s performance, i get from about 3 - 0.1 (yes, it takes up to 10 secs to render a frame sometimes) fps. my comp specs:
p3 500
128 mb
ati radeon 8500 64 mb (equvalent, if not better, to a gf3)
i tried fullscreen modes, low res, everything, and it''s not the rendering that is so slow - it''s the physics. so... umm... to bad i didn''t get a chance to try it out.

---
umm... bah?
It ran fine on my computer (~35 fps):
AMD 1.4GHz, 256MB SDRAM, GeForce2 MX400, Win2k.

One thing I noticed is that the people who its not running too great for all have slower processors (500-600 MHz). Maybe its the 60Hz physics that''s doing it in for them.

--Buzzy
Great job!

Athlon 1gig
256mg ram
Geforce MX2

Had fun zipping around and sliding. Not sure if it was supposed to happen but I succeeded in flipping the vehicle!

GRELLIN

Good luck!
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement