A better way to search GDnet (formatted)

Started by
31 comments, last by Rob Loach 19 years ago
This thread has been completely edited as of 8/4 for better formatting. The replies in all posts are all still in context. Google Search Queries While the Gamedev.net search feature is down, the following workaround have been created. To use these, copy the entire line of text into the google search bar and replace "SEARCH_QUERY_HERE" with your search keywords. Search query 1: by boolean allintitle: SEARCH_QUERY_HERE -user -profile site:GameDev.net Search query 2: by Michael Tanczos. Unlike mine, it will search both title and body of the threads. inurl:topic.asp -inurl:key= site:GameDev.net "SEARCH_QUERY_HERE" FAQ on Gamedev.net search feature: Q. WHY is the current GDnet search page down?
Quote:Michael Tanczos - Staff It was taken down recently because of DDOS threats against our site and that was largely rumored to be a primary target.
Q. WHEN is the GDnet search page is coming back up?
Quote:Khawk - Staff The search will be put back in within a few months when we put our new database server online in connection with some new services.
Useful tools: &#106avascript search form (by Benryves) &#106avascript search form, results in new window</a> (by Benryves) <a href="http://www.robloach.net/files/GDNet/gamedevgoogle.htm">FireFox GameDev Google Search Plug-In</a> (by Rob Loach) <hr> I will be updating this as I get time. Please leave any suggestions you may have in this thread, and don't forget you can add a link to it in your sig as others have done. [smile] <!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - boolean on April 8, 2005 7:44:13 AM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
Advertisement
Thanks! I'll try it.
Does anyone know how often things are included on Yahoo or Google? I have trouble finding recent topics. How soon can I expect them to appear in the web searches?

Also, anyone know when search will be back? I recall it was shutdown due to threats of attack (DOS or something).
Tadd- WarbleWare
Again, for the lazy, here is a bookmarket:

GDNet Forum Search

Drag it to your toolbar for a handy-dandy search button!

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves

GDNet Forum Search

Dam benryves, you never cease to amaze me [grin]. Thanks for that as well as you too boolean for pointing out this better search. It works great!

- Drew

GDNet Forum Search

Hmm, thats odd. It doesn't seem to work when I search for "4 Elements 3". :(

GDNet Forum Search

Oh, and if you want a version that opens search results in a new window:

GDNet Forum Search

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Wow, this rocks.

Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton

GDNet Forum Search

Dam benryves, you never cease to amaze me [grin]. Thanks for that as well as you too boolean for pointing out this better search. It works great!

- Drew

I second that.
Instead of creating a new thread on this issue, for it has probabally made the staff annoyed for hearing about it so much - I nominate that this is the *official* solution that is used as the new seach for now. Basically when you click on the "search" button, you are redirected to the link that Ben clickified here [smile]. Just an idea.

- Drew
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Instead of creating a new thread on this issue, for it has probabally made the staff annoyed for hearing about it so much - I nominate that this is the *official* solution that is used as the new seach for now. Basically when you click on the "search" button, you are redirected to the link that Ben clickified here [smile]. Just an idea.

- Drew

I'm no web programming genius, but I can't imagine that'd be too difficult to implement..? Would be damn useful as well - I like searching around the forums [smile].

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by boolean
Since the search feature is down, the next best option is too use google. I have found though that the results come up are sometimes quite far from what I want, so I made the following search query

allintitle: SEARCH_QUERY_HERE -user -profile site:GameDev.net

Just stick that in the google search bar and it cuts out a lot of the crap that normally gets returned. It's not much, but it might help someone.

Cheers.

i don't have Google so i have to do it the manual way.

but if i want to look at Fixed Point Math.

i would use: Fixed Point Math site:GameDev.net

right?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement