Forum Guidelines, Best Practices, Advice and FAQ (*updated 14/08/06*)

Started by
17 comments, last by jollyjeffers 17 years, 7 months ago
Content updated on 14th August 2006 Same URL as before. Changes: 1) I've linked up most of the document. You can now click on a heading in the Table of Contents and jump straight to the entry. 2) At circlesoft's request, I've added Gen #3: How to solve a problem yourself. 3) As mentioned by jamesw, I've added codesampler.com to the web resources section. 4) I've added D3D #24: A perfect Direct3D9 application structure (includes handling lost devices) based on WanMaster's suggestion. Known issues 1. Some formatting using HE_TERMINAL needs fixing 2. Still need to cross-link with SDK documentation 3. Splitting into multiple pages 4. Making a PDF version 5. Some D3D10/MDX stuff to work on Think that's it for now. Comments are appreciated. Cheers, Jack [Edited by - jollyjeffers on August 14, 2006 9:53:58 AM]

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Wow, nice work. It looks tons better than the current one! Just a few things I noticed:

(1) For the code segments, you use that one font I sent you some time ago. What will happen if a user doesn't have this font on their machine?

(2) One of my biggest issues with the FAQ all along was that it was all one page. Ideally, it could at least be broken down into API for easy browsing. However, I suppose that as long as the table at the top is readable, it can work.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Very nice! I can see that you've put a lot of work into this, and it will help out a ton of people.

Codesampler.com should be listed under the tutorials section

Still reading...
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
Wow, nice work. It looks tons better than the current one!
Thanks [grin]

(1) For the code segments, you use that one font I sent you some time ago. What will happen if a user doesn't have this font on their machine?
They'll end up being wrapped in [source]...[/source] tags. What you're currently seeing is probably something to do with copy-n-pasting from VS to Word and then Word exporting to HTML [smile]

(2) One of my biggest issues with the FAQ all along was that it was all one page. Ideally, it could at least be broken down into API for easy browsing. However, I suppose that as long as the table at the top is readable, it can work.
Agreed, I'd like to see it split into multiple pages but I'm limited by the forum software. The FAQ is, as far as I can tell, just a specially displayed forum post - I can't drop in any additional pages or formatting.

Quote:Codesampler.com should be listed under the tutorials section
Okay, I'll get that one added when I next update it. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
The FAQ is, as far as I can tell, just a specially displayed forum post - I can't drop in any additional pages or formatting.

What if the index of the FAQ was the only thing on the forum FAQ page? Then all the links on that were to some external site, like your journal webspace or some other server. Then we could do all of the formatting and organization that we wanted.
It seems that we need to push the whole 'use the debug runtimes' thing a bit, as they can solve a lot of posts that we see here. You have enumerated very well how people should go about posting here, but I think it would be helpful to have an entry like:

HELP! I have a problem! What do I do?

(1) Use the debug runtimes!
(2) Use google!
(3) Use past posts!

We are saying this kind of thing a little bit right now (mixed into the Forum best practices section), but I think it may help to be a little more up front with it.
Good job, very thorough explanation!
Perhaps the issue of lost devices and resources and the way to handle these situations deserve a section of their own?

By the way, I never knew the entire internet is hosted on your G: drive. [grin]

What if the index of the FAQ was the only thing on the forum FAQ page? Then all the links on that were to some external site, like your journal webspace or some other server. Then we could do all of the formatting and organization that we wanted.
Yeah, that could work quite nicely actually. Might even be able to do some JScript magic to filter which languages are shown - e.g. show only MDX1.1 content...

Quote:It seems that we need to push the whole 'use the debug runtimes' thing a bit, as they can solve a lot of posts that we see here.
Agreed, I'll see about pushing it up the list.

A whole FAQ entry including links to that classic "how to ask a question" article might be a good idea. I personally get a little tired of replying to threads with "we need more info" [smile]

Quote:Perhaps the issue of lost devices and resources and the way to handle these situations deserve a section of their own?
I suppose an entry summarising the details of this would be useful. I was wanting to write out a pseudo-code "perfect D3D application" to show what things should be done where/when...

Quote:By the way, I never knew the entire internet is hosted on your G: drive
Yeah, I managed to find a way of compressing the whole internet onto my 20gb partition. Pi compression is the way forward [grin]

Cheers,
Jack

No clue how hard this would be for you to do, but hey, no harm in asking... [grin]
A PDF version (Of course properly made with index and links to each section and such) would be handy, if you've got an easy way to convert your current document.
I'm pretty sure I could do a PDF version. I had a freebie Word->PDF "printer" a while back that seemed to do the trick. From what I understand the new Word 2007 beta's have this functionality as standard, so I could always use those.

Cheers,
Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement