Advices wanted for my new Portfolio.

Started by
4 comments, last by Buster2000 16 years, 11 months ago
CLICK I'm not great with web design, so I just keep everything clean and accessible. Game programmer jobs are hard to find for graduates like me. So please take a look. Every advices and tips will greatly improve my chances in getting a job [smile] Thank you Tu [Edited by - Tutukun on June 1, 2007 6:42:57 PM]
Advertisement
looking nice..

you can check out some designs at dA to get some inspiration if you want -http://browse.deviantart.com/designs/web/?order=9&alltime=yes

[Edited by - deja_vu on May 31, 2007 1:15:08 PM]
The list of schools you've attended really needs to be lined up to the right of your headings. I'm looking at it in Firefox and the list of schools is the left-most grouping. When I first skimmed over it my first impression was that the Projects section which immediately follows was actually a subsection of your high-school education.

Length and content seem to be ok. As a rule of thumb, no one should have more than a page of 12pt font on their resume fresh out of school, even if it means cutting out some less-relevant stuff. For an internet resume such as yours, there's a little more lee-way since its a blanket resume for all interested parties to see. Just remember to trim and tailor it to the position if you send them out on paper.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thank you for the replies

Quote:Original post by ravyne2001
For an internet resume such as yours, there's a little more lee-way since its a blanket resume for all interested parties to see. Just remember to trim and tailor it to the position if you send them out on paper.

I'm going to try to tailor my resume to be as suitable for each particular job as possible. But as a graduate programmer, lack of real experience, it's very limited of what I could change in my cv
I'd suggest doing two things if your serious about finding work in the games industry..

Get rid of your work experience section or change it so it doesn't show non-industry-related roles.. granted you don't have indsutry experience yet but I suggest doing what I did when I was in your position and writing a paragraph on why you feel you have the requisite skills/criteria necessary for a games programming role even though you haven't worked in one before..

Lastly I didn't really get a strong impression of your passion/level of enthusiasm towards games from your CV nor did I get a sense of your long term golas ambitions with regards to your professional career.. Maybe this is something you might want to consider factoring into it somehow..

P.S.

Since you're from my home town (nottingham) if you send me an email i'll send you a copy of my CV which you can use to get a few pointers if you like..:-

o (dot) rominiyi (at) gmail (dot) com
Hey Tutukun
Your CV and portfolio look pretty good and I see you live in the Nottingham area. I live just down the road in Derby and as a bit of encouragement it shouldn't be too difficult for you to get a games job near nottingham at the moment. Most of the companies around the area are recruiting at the moment with a few expanding into larger offices. Most of the people off my course myself included have just managed to get work placements in the games industry for various companies around Nottinham, Derby and Sheffield.
Take a visit to http://gamedevmap.com/ and check out some of the companies websites that are in your area and then send off a few CVs with covering letters and a link to your webpage.
If you do find it difficult to get yourself a games industry job then remember it's not all just about good grades it's about social skills. Try to be relaxed and down to earth if you get an interview.
Also try and attend a few of the games industry networking events that are in your area theres a small get together every couple of months in Derby and don't forget to go to GamesCity in Nottingham this year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement