wtf.... (nvlddmkm stopped responding)

Started by
3 comments, last by jollyjeffers 16 years, 4 months ago
I'm just sure I'm not the only one in existance this is happening to. I have everything set up in my engine with shaders, no compile errors, no runtime errors. However, it seems whenever I render more than around 200 meshes on screen (standard teapot), my screen goes black and suddenly nvidia pops up with a message telling me my driver crashed. The higher the mesh number gets, sometimes it crashes and sometimes it doesn't. I can run it 5 times without canging a thing. 2 times it's just fine, but 3 times it crashes. :Yes, I have the very latest driver It this some wierd problem with video memory... I've never seen anything remotley close to this mentioned in a graphics book. BTW: I'm primarily looking for answers that could offer solutions though programming. Not "Switch back to XP"
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Advertisement
It's possible that your shaders are taking too long to run. If that's the case, the Vista watchdog will reset the driver, because it'll think that it crashed (since it wasn't responding for a few seconds).
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Quote:Original post by Sc4Freak
It's possible that your shaders are taking too long to run.

Never heard of it before. Anything I can do to fix it and/or read up on it?

---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
**UPDATE**

Odd new discovery. I can;t be at all sure if you were right, but it seems as though if the program is drawing at the beginning of the program, it crashes. BUT, if I activate the drawing manually while the program is running (pressing a key) it seems to not fail. I tried 1200 stress testing (with shadowmaps, bloom, and bumpmaps on)
Even though G80 hardware has been around for over a year and Vista drivers for a similar period of time it's still not impossible for them to have flaws. I can still get the occasional bug show up on my 8800, although it's much less than when I was using pre-release drivers [lol]

Have you run through your application with the reference rasterizer. It'll be slow, but if you get correct results then you know it's Nvidia's fault. If you can crash the RefRast as well then it's your fault...

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement