New project looking for members

Started by
16 comments, last by Washu 18 years, 10 months ago
There will be no payment unless the game starts to make money and then everyone will recieve a percentage of the profit depending on what and how much they did.
Advertisement
And so what were you going to do on the project?
Well i know that you should do something if you lead a team so you can atleast get something done even if you don't have anyone else. What I do and eventually will do is graphics, music, moderate the forums, help out with designing/creating the website, public relations, advertising and that's about it for now although I'm probabaly going to try to learn c++ for my own benefit and for the games benefit. Also we don't need anyone for sound effects anymore now that we're starting to get more people=)
Wow justdan, you suck.

You didn't follow the template, you don't care about your project, you don't even know if it will be an MMORPG, you don't know what will happen if you make money (people will get paid based on how much they did? How do you decide?), and you obviously don't even know what you're doing:

Quote:
Well i know that you should do something if you lead a team so you can atleast get something done even if you don't have anyone else. What I do and eventually will do is graphics, music, moderate the forums,

help out with designing/creating the website

, public relations, advertising and that's about it for now although

I'm probabaly going to try to learn c++ for my own benefit and for the games benefit

. Also we don't need anyone for sound effects anymore now that we're starting to get more people=)

Wow where to begin...

1) What the hell does "Eventually will do" mean? If you get around to it? Once you aquire the skill?

2) "Graphics and music"- How will you do this? Do you compose music? Can you draw/design models?

3) Amazing bullshit here with "Help out with designing/creating the website" considering this is from your first post:
Quote:
but because I don't know to much about web design it's not that great which is why i need a webmaster.

4) "Public Relations and Advertising"- So far you suck at both. I hate your game and your presentation has been horrible. You didn't follow the template and your answer to that was "That what we have the forums for questions". You missed a comma, your sentence doesn't read correctly. And advertising? Does that mean spam other forums? Or does it mean submit your site to Google.com?

5) The last part is the best part. Good luck learning C++ for the benefit of you and the game. When you get to be good enough to program to help your game, tell me. It sounds like from your posting that you can learn everything. So far you plan to compose music, make the sprites, and program the engine. Do you even need anybody to fill your positions?
-----If you thought I was helpful, rate me down.If you thought I wasn't helpful, rate me down as well.This idiot didn't read my signature and tried to insult me.
:'( cool you got a 6 rating i think that says a lot. Also so sorry I havn't explained exactly what every word i said meant for some idiots. Also apparantly you don't read because it's only supposed to be helpful criticism n I don't even know why they havn't banned you yet.
Quote:Original post by justdan
cool you got a 6 rating i think that says a lot.

Did you look at his signature? Also, although he is rather cruel with some of his statements, they make sense in a general sort of way. Here is what he meant, shortened: do you know what you're doing? Almost everyone who starts making an MMO drops the project after a few months (or even weeks) because it is too time-consuming and they cannot pull it off. Generally, the only people who can make MMORPGs are big companies like Blizzard, etc. Raduprv and maybe two others are exceptions, don't compare your chances to theirs if you are a newbie. They are all very experienced programmers who know what they are doing and how to do it.

Here we have you. You know you want to make an MMO, but you don't seem to be able to contribute anything to your own project, because you don't know how to do anything for it. You said you would learn C++. Well, my friend, you are going to have to learn it for a while. I've been programming in C++ for 4 years now, and most of my projects failed, all because I was aiming too high. Choose what you are going to do, learn how to do it, and above all start simple. That's what Raduprv did, and that's what pretty much everybody on the board did as well. Nobody, and I mean nobody, makes an MMO for their first project and actually finishes it.

Conclusion: You said you wanted to learn C++. This is _very_ good, this will help you a lot. Once you know the language (obviously not all of it, but enough) make something simple like a Rogue-like. Then convert it to a MUD. Then, start on graphics. Make PONG. Then make online PONG. Then make Breakout, and then online Breakout. Build it from there.

Good luck, my young Jedi Apprentice. [grin]
Quote:Original post by justdan
There will be no payment unless the game starts to make money and then everyone will recieve a percentage of the profit depending on what and how much they did.
So basically you want to reap the benefits should the project succeed, but you're not willing to shoulder any risk should the project fail.

My advice at this point is to teach yourself programming and start on a smaller-scope game. You don't really bring enough to the table to justify joining your team.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Please see the big old sticky topic that says "READ BEFORE POSTING" before posting, kinda hard to miss...

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement