Tip on any anime series to watch?

Started by
67 comments, last by klems 15 years, 10 months ago
Thanks. I figured the live action films would leave something to be desired. There are only three more episodes of Death Note left to air on Adult Swim so for now I'll just wait it out.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
Last Exile
One thing i noticed when buying Death Note on amazon is that they only had volumes 1-5, 6 and 7 were not available.
Does anyone know of a place to get the other volumes? Or are they still in production, to be released later this year?

Edit: Just saw less breads post above mine. So, are there any release dates set?
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Mononoke-Hime rocks, I'm very impressed by it's visuals considering the release date.

However, how come no one mentioned Tekkon Kinkreet (
">AMV)? Everyone should watch it, simply because it's a Studio 4ºC production, and everyone should know that that means it's a QUALITY production. And also because it's my favourite anime EVER! Make sure you watch it in Full-HD glory :)

Paprika (
">trailer) was also good, even though it was a bit complicated for me to understand all of it.

[edit] @Umbrae: you're right, I must've missed it, sorry :)

[Edited by - Kamikaze15 on June 28, 2008 10:32:50 PM]
Quote:Original post by Kamikaze15
Mononoke-Hime rocks, I'm very impressed by it's visuals considering the release date.

However, how come no one mentioned Tekkon Kinkreet (
">AMV)? Everyone should watch it, simply because it's a Studio 4ºC production, and everyone should know that that means it's a QUALITY production. And also because it's my favourite anime EVER! Make sure you watch it in Full-HD glory :)

Paprika (
">trailer) was also good, even though it was a bit complicated for me to understand all of it.
I mentioned Tekkon Kinkreet and Paprika. :P

The Studio Ghibli films are fantastic, although some of them are more kid oriented.

The Cat Returns
Grave of the Fireflies
Howls Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa - Castle in the Sky
Lupin the III - Castle of Cagliostro
My Neighbor Totoro
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Only Yesterday
Panda! Go Panda!
Pom Poko
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Tales from Earthsea
Whisper of the Heart
Basilisk - Romeo and Juliet, but with ninjas and a whole lot of kick ass
Gungrave - Story of two friends who turned into powerful criminals, who then turn against each other
Guyver - A remake and complete series. Well done.
Noein - An interesting take on the space-time continuum
Peacemaker - If you can get past the annoying kid, it's a very good series about the Shinsengumi and Bakumatsu period
Record of Lodoss War and RoLW: Chronicles of Heroic Knights - Medieval settings; LoTR like
Shura no Toki - Story of a family of martial artists who challenge other samurai in old Japan
The Twelve Kingdoms - Anime with political overtones (ex: economy, immigration, interstate diplomacy). Very well laid out story.
Fist of the North Star the Animated Movie - It's just pure ass-kicking fun. American version is better. (There's a live action movie.... utter garbage, it is)
Noir - Story of two assassins with a common past and a converging future. Starts slow but paces itself very well.

I believe these haven't been mentioned yet.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Berserk.
Quote:Original post by kseh
I've seen the second live action movie of Deathnote. Halfway through the movie it started getting into plot that I hadn't already watched from the anime. At that point it was much easier to watch because I didn't have any preconceptions about what was supposed to happen. So I would say the movie was a "fair to middling" representation of the anime. The big thing thats missing in the movie is the intrigue which I think is what draws a lot of people in to the anime. I would say that if you've already gotten into the anime then don't bother watching the movie version. I myself have no interest in watching the first movie. But if you want to get a 2 hour abridged version of the story then the movie is worth a rental.

Oh, and the end of the movie is a bit different than the anime version. I'm not sure which ending I prefer.

Japanese are the worst actors in the universe. I wouldn't bother watching the movie :o
Aside from the good ones everyone else already mentioned, I'll put in a vote for Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni. Starts off as a sub-par harem comedy (first episode is actually worse than Ichigo 100%, which is impossible in Newtonian physics,) but quickly (as in, after the character introductions) turns into a very weird, creepy story about serial killings, curses, ghosts and whatnot.

I also don't believe I've seen Kimi ga Nozomu Eien mentioned yet. Sad love triangle story about people who are actually not in the age bracket 13-18.

I'd also like to mention (and I'll get ridiculed for this) Ping Pong Club. Weird story with under the belt comedy about (you guessed it) a ping pong club. If you like South Park, you'll love it. If you don't, you'll hate it. Look elsewhere if you want something classy and sophisticated.

Maria-sama ga Miteru is a slooooow drama series about a couple of girls at a catholic girls only high school. Cute, funny and touching, even though it's just about everyday stuff and relationships and not giant mecha, panty shots or the fate of the world.

Mai Hime and Mai Otome are shock full of fan service and every anime cliche there is, yet somehow still manages to be entertaining. High school-age girls with nanomachine-enhanced physical abilities fight weird shit to save the world from something. Stupid story, fun to watch.

EDIT: Battle Programmer Shirase is kind of funny too, and somewhat relevant for GDNet.

Quote:-Lain (wtf is going on? what's with the power lines?)
Ever been to downtown Osaka? Seriously, that's what it looks like.

[Edited by - Valderman on June 29, 2008 5:51:28 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement