How do you know if you are not reinventing the wheel in your language

Started by
10 comments, last by Vortez 9 years, 11 months ago

My wheel has an extra degree of freedom and is more of a ball joint really, and also has fittings for when I later want to attach a jet engine. Don't judge; it seemed like a good idea at the time :)

Seriously though, there can be good reasons for reinventing the wheel. It can be a learning experience, or you may need some feature that doesn't exist and makes it faster to reimplement from scratch than add to an existing library. If you're writing code as a hobby, then write what interests you. If you're doing a job for money, then other considerations become more important.

Advertisement

If you reinvented the wheel by accident then there is nothing to worry abbout. If you reinvented the wheel because you evaluated the other possible solutions and they didn't quite fit then this is fine.
When reinventing the wheel does become a problem is when you insist on writing everything yourself just because you don't trusst anybody elses code. I have worked on one XBOX 360 title that failed because the new lead programmer insisted on scrapping the third party engine that had been used for the last 3 successful games and writing the new one in house he even insisted on writing things like XML parsers and zip libraries in house because he didn't trust third party libraries. Naturally the game missed its deadline the publisher pulled out and a once successful studio laid off nearly all its staff and now consists of just two guys doing edutainment mobile apps.

Totally agree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement