Promoting Your App On Radio?

Started by
4 comments, last by sticky.fm 9 years, 7 months ago
Hello,
We're launching a new beta service to promote iOS and Android games using large market terrestrial radio ads.
We're trying to solve the problem of promoting an app and rising above all the noise to get noticed.
Radio can do this, but large min buys typically prevent most developers from considering it.
Sticky.fm is our startup and we'll be using a co-op method of grouping several apps in one ad buy so the buy-in per developer is much lower than usual.
Apps will most likely be promoted two at a time in a 60 second spot. We'll also produce the spot.
We are targeting about $800 for the entry level, which will get your app on the radio and will have a guaranteed min CPM. We're optimistic about the call to action to drive immediate downloads.
If anyone is interested in being apart of our first run, or for more details, feel free to PM or email me. Thanks.
- Adam
Sales@Sticky.fm
Advertisement

How can you have a 'guaranteed CPM' over radio? huh.png

We are targeting about $800 for the entry level, which will get your app on the radio and will have a guaranteed min CPM. We're optimistic about the call to action to drive immediate downloads.

Just out of interest, did you have done some market analysis upfront ? Do you know how low the sales of your common app-developer is and this with almost worldwide selling platforms available. How much could a relativ local radio advertisment help in this case ? Did your $800 include the advertising costs of popular radio channels, or do you need to spend an other $XXXX to reach a broader audience ? Do you even hit the right audience ?

How can you have a 'guaranteed CPM' over radio? huh.png

The air time is purchased based on CPM. The industry works off Nielsen ratings (who bought Arbitron) which are published and made public several times a year for each participating station. This takes into account a surprising number of factors including time of day, day of week, average time a listener tunes in, station market share and several others.

When we purchase air time we do so by setting a max CPM for the budget for that particular buy. We are using a system to purchase un-used ad inventory that stations still have available for the following week. So we will be getting rates below what you would be offered by approaching stations directly.

The goal is to use this along with a co-op model to deliver value and have a cost effective (new) way to drive app downloads. I'll post more on demographic targeting below.

Just out of interest, did you have done some market analysis upfront ? Do you know how low the sales of your common app-developer is and this with almost worldwide selling platforms available. How much could a relativ local radio advertisment help in this case ? Did your $800 include the advertising costs of popular radio channels, or do you need to spend an other $XXXX to reach a broader audience ? Do you even hit the right audience ?

Good questions:

- Yes, we have been doing a lot of market research. I will include some additional details below for feedback.

- Yes, I have personally been a "starving app-developer" and the fact is the vast majority of apps are not generating much revenue at all:

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/21/the-majority-of-todays-app-businesses-are-not-sustainable/

However, Sticky.fm is working off the premise that if your app is compelling enough, it just needs the exposure and critical mass of users to start the word of mouth chain reaction. I feel large market radio is a way to achieve this and rise above the noise of ASO and the other methods for promoting your app.

- Our initial campaigns are set to run in 5 large radio markets that we have selected, see PDF below (attached).

[attachment=22877:Stickyfm-Markets.pdf]

Overall, targeting gamers with smartphones stuck in traffic:

• Worst Traffic
  • Highest Smartphone Penetration
  • Top "Tech" US cities
  • Top US Gamer Cities
  • Top US Trend Setting Cities

For demographics we are able to target by gender, age and others via radio industry metrics. We are basing our targeting using data from Flurry (see below) on demographics by given game type, since they do differ, and plan to target accordingly.

[attachment=22867:Demo-Graph-1.png]

[attachment=22868:Demo-Graph-2.png]

We're seeking two mobile apps that we can produce a demo radio commercial for.

There is no cost and the spots will be published on our site as a demo (free promotion for you).

PM me if interested. You can also browse our beta site for more info http://www.sticky.fm/radio2.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement