'Holes' with Procedurally Generated Sphere for OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by TheChubu 9 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

Hopefully this is a simple question; I have the following code that I am using to generate a sphere object for OpenGL. The problem is, as the picture will show, is that there are "holes" in the spheres. I placed a few boxes in the scene to show that overall my buffers/shaders seem to be OK and I believe the problem may be the indices.

Anyway, here is the picture:

Terrible_Sphere.png

And here is how I am generating the sphere:

float ShapeRadius = 3.0f;

GLuint NumberOfRings = 50;
	GLuint NumberOfSectors = 50;

float const R = 1. / (GLfloat)(NumberOfRings - 1);
	float const S = 1. / (GLfloat)(NumberOfSectors - 1);

int r, s;

Temp_Vertices = new std::vector<GLfloat>;
	Temp_Normals = new std::vector<GLfloat>;
	Temp_TextCoords = new std::vector<GLfloat>;

Temp_Indices = new std::vector<GLuint>;

Temp_Vertices->resize(NumberOfRings * NumberOfSectors * 3);
	Temp_Normals->resize(NumberOfRings * NumberOfSectors * 3);
	Temp_TextCoords->resize(NumberOfRings * NumberOfSectors * 2);

std::vector<GLfloat>::iterator v = Temp_Vertices->begin();
	std::vector<GLfloat>::iterator n = Temp_Normals->begin();
	std::vector<GLfloat>::iterator t = Temp_TextCoords->begin();

for (r = 0; r < NumberOfRings; r++) for (s = 0; s < NumberOfSectors; s++) {

float const y = sin(-M_PI_2 + M_PI * r * R);
		float const x = cos(2 * M_PI * s * S) * sin(M_PI * r * R);
		float const z = sin(2 * M_PI * s * S) * sin(M_PI * r * R);

*t++ = s*S;
		*t++ = r*R;

*v++ = x * ShapeRadius;
		*v++ = y * ShapeRadius;
		*v++ = z * ShapeRadius;

*n++ = x;
		*n++ = y;
		*n++ = z;
	}

Temp_Indices->resize(NumberOfRings * NumberOfSectors * 4);

std::vector<GLuint>::iterator i = Temp_Indices->begin();

for (r = 0; r < NumberOfRings; r++) for (s = 0; s < NumberOfSectors; s++) {
		*i++ = r * NumberOfSectors + s;
		*i++ = r * NumberOfSectors + (s + 1);
		*i++ = (r + 1) * NumberOfSectors + (s + 1);
		*i++ = (r + 1) * NumberOfSectors + s;
	}
Vertices = Temp_Vertices->data();
    NumOfVertices = Temp_Vertices->size();

Indices = Temp_Indices->data();
    NumOfIndices = Temp_Indices->size();

Normals = Temp_Normals->data();
    NumOfNormals = Temp_Normals->size();

TextureCoordinates = Temp_TextCoords->data();
    NumOfTextureCoordinates = Temp_TextCoords->size();

What can I do to get rid of the holes?

Thank you.

Advertisement

the picture is not present so i can just guess.if you are culling front face then the end of your rings are drawn as back face so they're not shown

Start by breaking out of the loop early, first after the first iteration, then after the second, and so on, for both the sectors and the ring.

That should go from no polygons to a single triangle at the top of the sphere, and then if that looks OK then go to a full ring, and when that looks OK go to 2 rings.

It should make it much easier to isolate the problem, than trying to see why the full sphere looks like it does.

In this case I'm reasonably sure your problem is in building the indices. Are you drawing with GL_TRIANGLES?

If so you need 6 indices per quad, as it's built from 2 separate triangles. From your indices you need to draw a separate quad or triangle-strip for each sector.

If it still looks strange, do glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE) and see if it fixes it, which would mean face-winding is inverted.

The problem definitely is the indices (all the points seem to be in the right place)

It looks like you are generating quads, but are drawing it as triangles, as Erik suspects.

After executing your code I think the problem is indeed in drawing 'GL_QUADS' geometry with 'GL_TRIANGLES'. Take a look at the following screenshots of your geometry.

[attachment=23463:Triangles_BackfaceCulling.jpg] Fig.1. Drawing with GL_TRIANGLES and GL_CULL_FACE enabled.

[attachment=23464:Triangles.jpg] Fig.2. Drawing with GL_TRIANGLES and GL_CULL_FACE disabled.

[attachment=23465:Quads_BackfaceCulling.jpg] Fig. 3. Drawing with GL_QUADS and GL_CULL_FACE enabled.

Dietary supplements (suplementy diety)

Start by breaking out of the loop early, first after the first iteration, then after the second, and so on, for both the sectors and the ring.
That should go from no polygons to a single triangle at the top of the sphere, and then if that looks OK then go to a full ring, and when that looks OK go to 2 rings.
It should make it much easier to isolate the problem, than trying to see why the full sphere looks like it does.

In this case I'm reasonably sure your problem is in building the indices. Are you drawing with GL_TRIANGLES?
If so you need 6 indices per quad, as it's built from 2 separate triangles. From your indices you need to draw a separate quad or triangle-strip for each sector.
If it still looks strange, do glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE) and see if it fixes it, which would mean face-winding is inverted.

Changing to GL_QUADS per @Rootus's suggestion worked! Thanks.

One problem though; on Intel-based systems I get the sphere with no problems but on AMD based graphics cards nothing shows up.

I haven't tried the code on nVidia based systems.

Any reason why this may be?

After executing your code I think the problem is indeed in drawing 'GL_QUADS' geometry with 'GL_TRIANGLES'. Take a look at the following screenshots of your geometry.

attachicon.gifTriangles_BackfaceCulling.jpg Fig.1. Drawing with GL_TRIANGLES and GL_CULL_FACE enabled.

attachicon.gifTriangles.jpg Fig.2. Drawing with GL_TRIANGLES and GL_CULL_FACE disabled.

attachicon.gifQuads_BackfaceCulling.jpg Fig. 3. Drawing with GL_QUADS and GL_CULL_FACE enabled.

Thank you for trying this out!

Hope to get this fully working on all systems like AMD.

So far I only see stuff on Intel...

One problem though; on Intel-based systems I get the sphere with no problems but on AMD based graphics cards nothing shows up.

If you're using 'core' profile, GL_QUADS is deprecated. That might be why AMD driver refuses to draw anything. The solution would be to add the indices for the missing triangle for each quad you're generating (and draw with GL_TRIANGLES).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement