What inspired you to learn how to program?

Started by
39 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 9 months ago
HAHAHAHA, that was REALLY funny

my first program ( istarted gwbasic)

10 i=10
20 print i
30 i = i + 7
40 if i = 100 then end
50 goto 20

and i was wondering how come it never stopped counting #s

p.s. damn i kept putting semicolons at the end o each line, then i erased them

----------------
- Pouya / FOO!!!
***CENSORED***
Advertisement
I found QB4 in my dads drawer when i was about 10...i was already a DOS batch file "expert" . qb just gave me more power....i remember trying to make a platformer in qb..that was fun! (qb is what really got me started)

ive been stuck with programming ever since . why do i stick with it? cause its addicting. what do i like most about it? i dunno..its addicting

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

you know what i like about programming? 3 things:

1) the fact that how easily the whole system will get screwed up with 1 small mistake

2) seeing the final work is so pleasant that i do all o the programming job for that moment

3) this is the only thing that i can do right without destroying anything

----------------
- Pouya / FOO!!!
***CENSORED***
nothing. really nothing, in fact i HATE programming but i love games and i want my (great) game ideias become true, but i can´t just get to a programmer and ask to him make my game.

============
-and i will make a termal usine with concrete, plutonioum and paper bags.
-nanny we have paper bags???
gonzo. Muppet babies
"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"
Doom

------------------------
Captured Reality
i started with pacman

----------------
- Pouya / FOO!!!
***CENSORED***
It all began with the rubber keyed slimline speccy. I learnt to change the border colour. Wow. I was estatic. Then I learnt how to change the text colour. Whoo. I was floating up to heaven. Then I got a Amiga (but never programed anything on it), and then a PC. You now what that meant - BATCH FILES I remember the joy of annoying the schools IT support with my batch files in the startup files

Then came Doom and I designed a few levels, same with Duke3D and I then decided to play RTS games but they never played as well as I wanted so I though (Newbie warning) that I could do better. ha ha ha ha ha

I''m still working towards that lofty goal.
I''ve always loved creating and imagining things... I was the type of kid that you''d see outside swinging cardboard swords at invisible dragons. Game programming came naturally, I guess, because what better way is there to create a whole different world that you and others can just dive into?
I got a book about computers for Christmas. In this book, some simple BASIC programs were listed. Somethin'' like:
PRINT "What is your name?"INPUT N$PRINT "HELLO" N$ 

I liked it very much. Few days later, I borrowed a Book with more BASIC-Stuff like IF...THEN (wow )

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Andreas Mähler
Wolf359 Interactive
A friend of mine let me borrow a Delphi compiler to play around with it... once I was able to do the hello world program when you click on a button, i was stuck to it... it got more addicting once i got a book from the public library that gave the beginner step by step practical examples... "Beginner''s Guide to Delphi" by Wrox group.. that was the name of the book... then i started learning delphi and i got addicted.... i started creating simple programs like calculators, converters (celsius to fahrenheit.etc..)... then i started learning Win32 Programming with Delphi... that''s how i got started.. then i started doing some C stuff, then C++... ASM.. and finally VB.. i guess i went the wrong path, but that way i''ve learned a lot of things (techniques..etc) that the general programmer wouldn''t know... anyways.. im on my way learning 3D graphics programming now, and i hope some of you gurus out there would help me out..

btw, do you think the book "DirectX 3D Graphics Programming Bible" is a good book?! I purchased and am hoping to be a good one... I want to learn how everything works from the inside.. maths (vector, matrix).. formulas... their properties.. what each of those does... etc... anyways.. im only 18 and have a long way to go in front of me.. take care..

..-=ViKtOr=-..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement