What inspired you to learn how to program?

Started by
39 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 9 months ago
I got my first *real* programming book from the public library, too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Andreas Mähler
Wolf359 Interactive
Advertisement
I''d have to say The Legend Of Zelda. I loved that game. um Tiso, you refered to yourself as a game developer, do you have any actaul games? all I saw on your site was a pre-alg program. sorry, but I''m all over the technicalities.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Would you like to play a game...?

That and my c128 got me started thinking back there was a book that came with it thought you had to make sounds and colors I guess that''s what did iot for me.

To think that now I''m an application developer for an accounting system. I want to program games.....

Auto Destruct in 5....4....3....2....1....
Empty Your Cup!Wolfmaster
Well Now,

With all these cool games being released around me they became a part of my life. And then I thought to myself I want to make games like these. Remember Battle Chesss for the Amiga.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
stvoy:

what happened to your poetic formatting style?

----------------
- Pouya / FOO!!!
***CENSORED***
On my first high-school year (1993, I think), I took a complementary computer class where we worked on LogoWriter on 286s (yuck!). It inspired me to take summer class of computer programming where we worked on "object oriented programming" (sort of) with IBM''s Linkway Live. I won the first prize for my excellent and vast code with a project about the brain.

I have been lent an old 386 orange-screened Toshiba portable computer, where I learnt BASIC. I did my first "large" game (an RPG) for a religion class, and I still think it is great today (76kB of crappy code, the first time I had to use subs because of a lack of memory).

I had my first (and only so far) computer in 1995, a P75 that I updraded to 133 last April, and I received Visual Basic 4 as a present this same year, I think. I took another summer course in programming in 1997 (this time called "Computers'' ressources" which pretty much ended up with working on HyperCard) where I ported an old DOS programming language, used to learn how to program, to the MacOS.

I started up learning C++ this same year, I think, due to the lack of performance of VB with game programming (the same game I am still working on today. I want it to be a masterpiece), and learnt OpenGL in the beginning of this year. And 3D still is slow on my 5y-old computer, in the time where 3D accelerators were still an exclusivity of SGI workstations.

I learnt about half a dozen other programming languages through these times, but nothing really important. I have now finished my high-school, my college and I''m heading towards university in CS.

I will have another computer soon

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
Atari 2600: Berserk, Adventure, and Yar''s Revenge.
This is what it says in my sig, and I love the way I put it before

quote:

I do it because I love to see the culmination of my work. The feeling I get each time something new I had just thought up works and is amazingly cool on screen.
It's the feeling you get when your killer animation works. The feeling you get when you view the credits of your finished game scroll by and you see your name. It's the responses of the players. Everything about programming gives the programmer something to feel good about.

We love to do what we do. We are given a power that other people don't have. We have the power to manipulate a computer, what it shows, what its says, anything. We make things, trivial to us, that make people go "Cool!" or "That was phat, how does that work?" Take a look at the masterpieces, the real games that make you leave your seat and fall inside the world they have created. We are creators of world's, everything our minds can think of. Doesn't that make you the programmer feel great?
It makes me feel powerful and magical.
What about you?

That is why...

My view on programming, what It means to me, what it meant to me. ~Squall012

Edited by - Ferinorius on July 12, 2000 10:49:00 PM
Well, I like the idea of controlling the computer. When I was about 3 years old, the only use I saw for a computer was a coin-holder. Yes, a coin-holder. I''d climb up onto my mother''s desk, and stick some coins in the A drive. I will admit that that wasn''t too smart, but hey, I was 3!

Once I saw the true power of a computer, I really wanted to see how it worked (not hardware-wise). Once I found out, I simply started to tinker with QBASIC. I got a few books and voila! Instant programmer!(not a good programmer, but one none the less) Eventually, I got tired of QBASIC, so I tried out VB. The simplicity of VB drove me crazy and I couldn''t stand it. So I went on to C++. Once there- ok, I''m going to stop here. I think I''ve answered the question....

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
D:
I had been going to VIRTUAL WORLD all summer and was flat broke... I then decided to start coding some C stuff to get my mind of my addiction... Guess what? I got addicted to programming =P

Genre.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement