Is c++ gonna die

Started by
134 comments, last by cpp boy 20 years, 1 month ago
quote:Original post by SmugBoy
Wasn’t C# created to compete against Java? C# hooks into the .net framework just like java hooks into the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).

So I do not think that C++ will go away anytime soon. It’s still way too important in the marketplace on all platforms to just be cast aside. In fact I do not see many universities teaching C# yet.

This is what a lot of people believe, but it is untrue.

C# was developed to give developers a language that is "as close to perfect" for development on all of the future Microsoft operating systems.

Also the spec was given by Intel, HP, and Microsoft for C# and CLI.. so the .NET framework along with C# should be the best cross-platform solution within a couple of years.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Nervo
quote:Original post by jmg5
BTW, is there a university that still teaches C?

That question is fundamentally equivalent to asking if a university teaches any math or english classes.

For some reason I was under the impression that most universities taught nothin' but C++. I was about to give up all hope.

[edited by - jmg5 on January 11, 2004 9:13:54 PM]
For people that don''t have Visual Studio .NET and want to use C# you can grab a free IDE here:

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

quote:Original post by Imperil
Please note that C# is the future of development on Microsoft operating systems.

That''s a rather bold statement, don''t you agree? It could be a miserable failure, too.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

That question is fundamentally equivalent to asking if a university teaches any math or english classes.

For some reason I was under the impression that most universities taught nothin'' but C++. I was about to give up all hope.

Actually the majority of the top schools don''t teach C or C++, they in fact teach Java, Scheme, SmallTalk, etc like I previously mentioned.

I know for a fact that even if you look at the top 20-30 schools you would be hard-pressed to find one that teaches C/C++.
quote:Original post by abeylin
C++ doesn''t call "main" directly, it calls "__" before, so it can''t possibly be faster.

Except that it only gets called once and that''s at the very beginning.

C++ won''t go away, it still has and will have its niche.

C#, though, will probably become very big as well. Like C++, it''s not proprietary (even though it was originally created by MS). There is also a project to make it work on Linux and other OS''s (http://www.go-mono.com/). It is very much like Java and C++ in syntax and is easy to pickup. It also has automatic garbage collection and a huge built-in library (.NET Framework). This makes it ideal (like Java) for prototyping.

As for the consoles, it''s possible, though not probable. C#, like all .NET languages, compiles into byte code which assembled into machine code when the program is run. Because of this, it should be relatively easy to write a backend compiler that compiles the byte code into native machine code, much like existing C++ compilers for these consoles.
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Please note that C# is the future of development on Microsoft operating systems.

That''s a rather bold statement, don''t you agree? It could be a miserable failure, too.

It is not my statement. It is from Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Anders Hejlsberg, Peter Golde, Tom Miller, Scott Wiltamuth, and many others at Microsoft.

Basically if C# is a failure than the future Microsoft operating systems are a failure.
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil

That's a rather bold statement, don't you agree? It could be a miserable failure, too.

It is not my statement. It is from Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Anders Hejlsberg, Peter Golde, Tom Miller, Scott Wiltamuth, and many others at Microsoft.

Basically if C# is a failure than the future Microsoft operating systems are a failure.

Now that doesn't follow. Just because developers choose to stick with C++ for development on Windows doesn't make Windows a failure. Yes, that sentence is written correctly, just look at it longer.

[edited by - PlayGGY on January 11, 2004 9:19:45 PM]
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?

When did I say it was your statement alone? Anyway, what on earth do the microsoft operating systems have to do with C#? It''s like saying linux is a failure because C++ is used more than C.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

For some reason I was under the impression that most universities taught nothin'' but C++. I was about to give up all hope.

Actually the majority of the top schools don''t teach C or C++, they in fact teach Java, Scheme, SmallTalk, etc like I previously mentioned.

I know for a fact that even if you look at the top 20-30 schools you would be hard-pressed to find one that teaches C/C++.

Actually, many top universities don''t teach any programming languages at all. The courses might require various languages, but you''re expected to be able to pick up different languages reasonably quickly in your own time, without much explicit tuition.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement