No BLT with DX8?

Started by
82 comments, last by Gazza 23 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by ColdFlame

I agree with Lars W.
There has to be some way of accessing memory of testure or surfaces or whatever, else how can you draw onto them? All your classy water effects, holes appering in textures as they are shot, particle systems - Microsoft wants to break all this because it wants to rush out a BRAND NEW, extra good 3D engine and can''t be arsed to write 2D code into it too?

Surely you can still Lock surfaces etc.?

And what people were saying about DirectDraw being "had to set up". Well yes, it''s flexible, but you write (or copy) the functions once and use them everytime. It''s boilerplate code and it''s very easy.

Oh well, Whatever, Nevermind

It''s not a matter of agreeing with someone. The fact is, it has been taken out for the moment, but it will be reintegrated to the D3D API in DirectX 9. However, DirectX 9 will not be supported by Windows 95 or Windows 98. You will need Windows 2000 or Windows ME to have the integrated Direct3D and DirectDraw.

However, just because you use DirectDraw 7 for 2D doesn''t mean you can''t use DirectInput 8.0, DirectAudio 8.0 or DirectPlay 8.0 in your application.

Please state the nature of the debugging emergency.

sharewaregames.20m.com

Advertisement
Hmm, I had heard the rumor that DX9 would be ME/W2K only from several sources. I don''t personally know many folks that have bothered upgrading to WinME, not to mention Win2K...

But, like Furby sez, no reason you can''t use the cool new non-3D features in DX8 and use, hmm, something else for your 3D. But who knows, maybe everyone will somehow have been forced to move to WinME by the time DX9 comes out?
If you don''t bother to look at the improvements in WinME/2K, you''re probably not much interested in DX 9 as well ;-)

Greetings, CondorWitte
Hi out there! I doesnt really unterstand your problems, cause all you need can be solved using either
IDirect3DDevice8::CopyRects or
IDirect3DDevice8::GetBackBuffer
CopyRects is the equivalent to Blt and with GetBackBuffer you get a Surface, which can be locked like good old dx7
Greetings
lolo
WinME is buildt out of the win9x kernel.. so why wouldnt DX9 run on Win98? WinMe is Win98TE(Third Edition)
Manuel, CopyRects does not support color keying, clipping, filling, raster operations, scaling or any of the other things we used to use (particularly color keying).

Please state the nature of the debugging emergency.

sharewaregames.20m.com

furby100, you''re right, no colorkeying is a huge prob. That means for pure 2D graphic usement, staying at dx7.
Even in directx 7 though it was recommended that you use Alpha Channels instead of Color Keying because most 3d cards emulated color key support using alpha channels anyway .

Anon: DX8 had to be completely tested on Win95, Win95 OSR1, Win95 OSR2, Win98, Win98 SE, WinME, and Win2K. MS would be justified in dropping support for DX9 in the older OS''s. It would greatly simplify the testing effort, they could just concentrate on recent platforms. It won''t have an effect on the market, because only newer games would use DX9, newer games require more recent hardware, and by the time DX9 is released, recent hardware is running Win2K or WinME.
Hello guys!

I''ve just read all the thread messages and was really upset by the changes in dx8. Especially by turning d3d to ogl. Im not saying that ogl is bad api, i think that it''s just a choice of a programmer : easy and flexible or ugly, complicated but more powerfull api.

I used to laugh loudly every time my good friend told me about problems he expierenced in ogl. Now i see that some problems can turn simply to functionality loose.

Look, im working on a 3d engine and my hsr algorithm (the main part of an engine,i think) uses one z-buffer shared among two rendering surfaces. I also need a direct access to it''s pixels. It looks like to be impossible to turn my source to dx8. Remberer how painless was the porting dxN -> dx(N+1) for N less than 7?

Than, what about lightmapping? I dont think that the Phong shader will be enough fast for it without a hardware support, by the way not present at this time (correct me if im wrong). So the only way to do high-quality lighting - lightmapping disappers till the time when most cards will support Phong shading will come ?! (dont say i can subdived all my triangles to a smaller parts).

I think one of the finest dx things is going to be broken - it''s flexibility. While using lower versions of dx one could rewrite almost every functionality and still be able to use the rest. Dx used to propose a way to do a thing, now it''s dictating to me the way how i MUST do it. Not for all, of course, (thanks to God) but for things as lighting and 2d.

So i will wait for dx9 I hope there will be not much games with the use of Phong shading till the dx9 is out. So i can complete my own,not to send it to the past at the same time.

Sorry for my english
------------------------------DISCLAIMER: Im not responsible for any harm that my english can cause to your eyes, brains or programming skills.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement