Anyone interested in Posting their Water Screenshots...

Started by
49 comments, last by soconne 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi :)

Here's a little video showing my water-implementation:

Click here

Best regards,
Roquqkie
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by oconnellseanm
I use a single quad with a normal map texture to distort the texture coordinates. I also calculate transparency where the water meets the shoreline.....essentially I create another texture that represents pixel transparency at every point on the water.

I love your water looks great. I sent you a PM hope to hear from you.
Quote:Original post by Roquqkie

Click here

Best regards,
Roquqkie

Your water looks good to. What kind of texture are you using to start with for you water? RGBA, actual water pics? Thanks
Quote:The skybox is from FarCry.

Awww. How did you extract that? I have been scouring my distribution to find the sky texture files and so far no luck.
Quote:Original post by Fahrenheit451
Quote:The skybox is from FarCry.

Awww. How did you extract that? I have been scouring my distribution to find the sky texture files and so far no luck.

goto the farcry\fardata dir and use winrar or some archive tool that allows you to view .pak files and its in the textures .pak file I think I seen them the other day... HTH
If anyone wants to know how to do this water very easily, here's a great tutorial and demo
http://www.bonzaisoftware.com/wfs.html
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
Quote:Original post by Roquqkie

Click here

Best regards,
Roquqkie

Your water looks good to. What kind of texture are you using to start with for you water? RGBA, actual water pics? Thanks

Hi and thanks! :)

I simply scroll two normalmaps (ripples.tga from the nvidia-sdk) in two different directions and with different velocity. At each fragment I then fetch the normal from each map and I find the mean of them (N1+N2 * 0.5). This is my "animated" normal and I use this to dissort the texture-coordinates for the reflection/refraction-texture lookup.
I also calculate the Fresnel-term, which makes the reflection weight more with a sharp incoming angle and the refraction weight more in the opposite case.

Best regards,
Roquqkie
Hey oconnellseanm I got that tutorial somewhat up and running that you posted. I am having some issues with my reflection not looking right? I am not at home right now so I can't post any code but its pretty much the same as the tutorials. I am using the same VP/FP. Maybe its an issue with my depth texture? I am loading the texture up as a white rgb texture? Does it have to be a greysacle 8bit image for depth textures? Any help would be great thanks...
Can you post some screenshots so I can see what your problem is.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Maybe this is not the best looking water. It was something I made long time ago when I wanted to have a more interactive water. When an object hits the water it creates ripples. Can get pretty violent when simulating rain on the water as the smaller image in the corner illustrates. [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement