What have been the bad elements of past CRPGs?

Started by
125 comments, last by rmsgrey 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Ranger Meldon
I appreciate this advice. I will take it to heart when wanting to be completely in the spirit of saving my time and increasing my chances of completing my game. I know I talk a lot on here about how I think people are lazy if they don't push themselves to do their best etc etc but that's not all of who I am. I agree with the saying that works of art are never finished, only abandoned. I could probably keep adding features, content, and refinements to my game until sometime around the end of the universe. There will always be so much to do, and the more I do, the more I will see that I could do. So no, please don't think me a complete fool (only partially One). :) I will eventually have to "face the music" as far as deciding how much game is enough.

Heck, I don't conisder it a fool to be ambitious in your game design (otherwise I'd be the biggest fool of all!) It's just you've got some really great ideas that would push the boundaries of RPGs that I'd like to see; however given a choice I'd prefer to see you implement just one of those ideas implemented well in a game, rather than you attempt to implement two dozen and never getting the thing finished.

Actually, from what I've read in game post-mortems, and from my own (brief) experience in the commercial game industry, I'd say the number one reason for failed or broken games is from the team being unwilling to compromise and sacrifice game design ideas in order to get the game finished. It's just human nature to not want to abandon your ideas. Most of us independent and hobbyist developers have a slight advantage over the commercial guys and gals as we don't have a time limit, and make our living through other means.

Quote:
p.s.--For those who will understand this: Being the Fool is not so bad, for it leads to being the Magician. And yet we are latently both already. 0=1=oo

Heh, I think I made an account here years ago under the old nickname 'The Hierophant', but I lost both my password and the email account that it was linked to.
Advertisement
I haven't read through all of the replies. So just ignore any questions / concerns that have already been addressed.

Quote:Original post by Ranger Meldon
I'll start this question off with some answers of my own. I don't like:

Maybe it would have been easier to write a list of things you do like [wink]

Quote:5) How games that use weight-based carrying limits don't offer any recourse to physically wimpy mages. There needs to be some kind of "magic bag of holding" or something, that only mages (or characters beyond a certain level of magic skill) can make and equip that allows them to carry somewhere near the same amount of stuff a warrior can. I also think a packmule and/or wagon are good ideas too.

Later on (#19), you argue that different classes should offer much different gameplay experiences. But here you're saying the opposite; that we should try to make this one skill equal for vastly different character types. I believe it already suits the character types, as is. For example, warriors have to carry swords or guns, where mages carry a staff or some paper. I also doubt most players are going to accept 'magic bag' as the reason. What other choices are there to present, if a designer actually wanted to make his character classes less unique?

Quote:8) How uncustomizable the weapons are in practically every game I've ever played, especially if it's an FPS RPG. I want to be able to forge my own custom sword that has a large chance of looking unique even in an MMORPG setting. This would just be an issue of mixing and matching different weapon subparts, i.e. hafts, handles, blades, blade tips, edges, guards, pommels, runes, effects like glowing or flaming, etc. This would be so extremely cool, and if you coded it right, it wouldn't have to be that much more complex.

Customizable weapons sounds great. But it sounds like you're talking about having the player build the model of the weapon. Isn't that taking it a bit far? Even if you offered a thousand combination possibilities, most players are going to regard the same look as 'cool', and so most players will be weilding the same identical weapon anyways. I like the idea of building / designing the weapons, but I don't think it should be based on looks or model parts. The whole purpose of a weapon is to kill. Only kings and emperors care about how pretty their weapon is.

Perhaps if it was based on metal types and forging ability. It would also be possible to draw the shape of a blade and handle (this would be mostly unreasonable in any MMO type game). The color and look of the weapon, other than it's shape, should be from the metal types. As well as it's weight, damage, and other little details.

Quote:13) Game engines that handle reputation stupidly. Say you kill some monster that's harassing some village, completely by yourself out in the middle of nowhere, and by the time you can make it to the nearest town, everybody somehow magically knows that you killed the monster, as if they were watching it on TV or something. Right.

I think all games of any decent length must handle reputation stupidly. What is your suggestion in handling this situation?

Quote:15) Games (such as Diablo 2) when they give numbers (especially percentages) for an item that don't really tell you any more than you knew to begin with. Example: What does 10% faster hit recovery even mean? 10% faster than what? .. Annoyingly vague.

10% faster means you recover in 90% of the time. Makes sense? Whether it's stackable or not isn't really an issue with displaying percentages, as any type of representation would be just as vague. Perhaps a suggestion on how to improve this as well?

Quote:16) How in games like Diablo 2, your skills give you less and less additional benefit each time you put a new level into them. After a while, it's almost like, what's the point? Especially since the monsters don't seem to gain skills in such a diminishing fashion.

That's just life. If you start practicing with a gun right now, next week, you'll most likely double or tripple your ability. A week after, you will not make the same progress. Eventually you will not learn anything new at all. Mastering anything requires devotion and obsession. Monsters are supposed to be tough. Otherwise, everyone would be a hero [wink]

Quote:22) When potions get used up in one drink when the player needed far less health etc than what the potion could optimally provide. Each potion bottle should "remember" how much liquid has already been consumed from it. Preferably, bottles should be able to be mixed, such that one partially-filled bottle can "top off" another partially filled bottle of the same type of potion.

Again, what are you suggesting? That the player choose 1/3 or 1/2 from a selection menu every time they down one? What if 1/8 is more than they need? I don't see much improvement over just having a hundred tiny bottles.
Quote:Original post by Jiia
Only kings and emperors care about how pretty their weapon is.

Which ties back into the issues about reputation and combat-centric gameplay. If someone has a really flashy (unique) sword, then they're easier to identify on sight (unless the sword is concealed) and tales of their exploits will tend to accumulate together - having 10 stories about the man with the crimson blade rather than 10 stories about mysterious strangers. On the other hand, if the game revolves around combat, then barely anyone would bother to make their sword visually impressive (then again, one of the "wow, cool" moments in Kingdom Hearts was seeing "Leon" (Squall from FF8) change from his regular weapon to a Lionheart). Equally, people would be disapointed if, in a Star Wars game, lighting up a lightsaber didn't make the familiar noise...

On the topic of implementing a good reputation system, maybe we can't come up with any noticeable impact on existing games of replacing a slightly tweaked "good enough" system. On the other hand, once you've got a system implemented and can play around with it, it's a lot easier to see just what you can do with it. One (possibly apocryphal) example of a gameplay feature that wasn't designed in is rocket jumping. Without actually playing with a "proper" reputation system, it's very hard to be sure what the possibilities and limitations of such a system would be.

One of my pet hates in RPGs that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet in this thread is the massive mismatch between the pacing of the plot and the pacing imposed on the player by the basic mechanics - "Oh no! An extinction level asteroid is going to impact soon! We must hurry and spend everal months running round in small circles to get enough random encounters to level up far enugh to be able to take on the final boss!" The number of times in Final Fantasy games where I've got caught up in the tension of the plot, and moved rapidly through several areas, only to find that I'm sufficiently underpowered to not have a chance against the boss at the end of the section, is ridiculous! Having a role-playing game where the only way to progress is to ignore the role the game presents for you and wander off somewhere for a while is just plain wrong. And then people complain that all cRPG players are munchkins. It's because any other approach gets you killed!
Has anyone on this thread mentioned a design reliant on player 'saving' as part of its 'challenge level'?

What I mean by this is a plot/level design that oviously assumes a player will be regularly saving the game and retrying levels until they get them 'right'. Most of the games I've played lately, even on the easiest difficulty settings, outright require a regular, and careful, saving strategy just to get through the game.

The problem with this, especially in games that are intended to be immersive in any way, is the artificiality and the distraction of having to dick around reloading levels all the time. It's like paying to see a movie and then being forced to rewatch the same scene ten or fifteen times before you can go on to the next. I'd really like to see some alternatives to this sort of nonsense.
Some things I don't like are:
*When I have to do a simple thing over and over again just to get to the hard part I failed with.
*To travel. For example the plains in ocarina of times at day before getting Epona.
*The leveling systems of all RPG's I've played. I would suggest that instead of gaining xp and suddenly when reaching a certain amount, growing to a superior character with increased hp and skills, you would gain points (or whatever) for every little thing you do or hear or see, or experience in any way, to the specific attribute(s). Some magic skills should then be learned from somewhere when you are skilled enough in the right magic type and other spells should be selflearnable either by instance (being at the right place at the right moment) or just by having the right knowledges.
*The combat in some games. I have a suggestion here to that might be neat. Lets say you figure out an own melee-combat-combo for example hit-spin-kick-crouch-stab. Then you should be able to save it and bind it to a preferred key for easy access in combat and so your character can perform it without pauses between moves.

As you can probably see my suggestions need a lot of further developing ;)
bad things about RPGs?

My biggest pet pieve is the over reliance on the same cliched Tolkeen/AD&D inspired game setting. Its gotten to the point that I wont even consider playing a RPG game if its got the same old elves, dwarfs, orks, magic, etc. at least the Final Fantasy tries to explore different fantasy settings mixing airships, guns, and such.

Second, I don't get this drive for "more realisam" in some of the postings here...seems there is a overal lack on creativity and imagination.

I mean here we have RPGs where magic users routinely shoot fireballs from thier finger tips and exotic monsters run around attacking people. And instead of haveing fun with such worlds, people are complaining about simplistic reputation systems!?

Come on folks, you have wizards that can teleport and cast invisablly spells. That makes for near perfect "information brokers" whom secretly spy on the player, or other things of intrest...If anything, developers arn't fully exploreing the possabilities with the systems they have.

I don't play RPGs to micromanage my characters backpack...hell with all the other unrealisitc elements in such game settings, I find it completely asinine that my character has such silly limits on thier capacity to carry things period!

I also get damn sick of the lack of weapon variety...Sword +1, Sword +2, sword +3...this is just design lazyness, yeah it makes for a lot of weapons...but all of them are worthless once the player gets sword +222 or whatever the cap is...make weapons truely unique, so there is a reason to use one for a certain situation, then switch out to another for a different situation.

Quote: bad things about RPGs?

My biggest pet pieve is the over reliance on the same cliched Tolkeen/AD&D inspired game setting. Its gotten to the point that I wont even consider playing a RPG game if its got the same old elves, dwarfs, orks, magic, etc. at least the Final Fantasy tries to explore different fantasy settings mixing airships, guns, and such.

Second, I don't get this drive for "more realisam" in some of the postings here...seems there is a overal lack on creativity and imagination.

I mean here we have RPGs where magic users routinely shoot fireballs from thier finger tips and exotic monsters run around attacking people. And instead of haveing fun with such worlds, people are complaining about simplistic reputation systems!?

Come on folks, you have wizards that can teleport and cast invisablly spells. That makes for near perfect "information brokers" whom secretly spy on the player, or other things of intrest...If anything, developers arn't fully exploreing the possabilities with the systems they have.

I don't play RPGs to micromanage my characters backpack...hell with all the other unrealisitc elements in such game settings, I find it completely asinine that my character has such silly limits on thier capacity to carry things period!

I also get damn sick of the lack of weapon variety...Sword +1, Sword +2, sword +3...this is just design lazyness, yeah it makes for a lot of weapons...but all of them are worthless once the player gets sword +222 or whatever the cap is...make weapons truely unique, so there is a reason to use one for a certain situation, then switch out to another for a different situation.

Exactly. D&D/Tolkein is their religion, and sword+1 is the lame crap they pull out of their...well...you get the idea. People seem to have this concept that RPG's = stat quests. If that's all RPG's are, we shouldn't call them Role Playing Games. Ironically enough, you did more role playing in the 'adventure' game genre than you do in most RPG's. Look at a game like World of Warcraft. You could get through that entire game and never have any idea why you did any quests at all. You could just read the 'Marshall Dughan wants you to kill 10 Kobolds and return to Goldshire' and be on your way. What the hell does that have to do with Roleplaying? You aren't pretending to be a warrior and killing 10 vile demons. You're mashing buttons and watching a little bar creep forward. Some people may say that it's all in how you look at it. But I'm thinking that the game shouldn't be left up to just the player's interpretations. You can role play in World of Warcraft. But it would be a stretch to say that having emotes and RPG servers is condusive to roleplay.

In any case games that match the current understanding of what RPG means could do what they intend to do better. Think up something better than D&D and create a world that's not a Tolkein ripoff.

P.S. I don't like Final Fantasy's worlds. They look rather nice and artistic, but they aren't plausible. Middle Earth, however, could have worked given the boundaries set forth. Tolkein was a genius. And, no matter how pompous it sounds, Final Fantasy shouldn't even be used in the same paragraph as Tolkein - it and most other worlds are flaming crap when compared to Middle Earth.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
Quote:
P.S. I don't like Final Fantasy's worlds. They look rather nice and artistic, but they aren't plausible. Middle Earth, however, could have worked given the boundaries set forth. Tolkein was a genius. And, no matter how pompous it sounds, Final Fantasy shouldn't even be used in the same paragraph as Tolkein - it and most other worlds are flaming crap when compared to Middle Earth.

In my book a plauseable game setting is not a requirement for fun. I'd MUCH rather play an RPG set in worlds like that seen in anime like Last Exile, Heat Guy J, Escaflowne; rather then another unimaginative AD&D inspired cliched setting.

Yeah Tolkein's middle earth is great, grand even...but enough is enough, time to mix things up, abandon its copied trappings...Final Fantasy tries this with its steampunk/sci-fi influences, which was my point.

I'd love to see a Wild, Wild West influenced RPG - not trying to be realistic, but have fun with the setting and potential situations that could develop.

I'd love to see a satirical RPG inspired by the film Office Space. Even Fight Club and Sixth Sense has much potential...sadly too few think outside the box enough to realise this. Combat is the traditional arena of conflict resolution employed by RPGs...it need not exclusively be this way...conflict can be resolved in countless ways, all of them ripe for building a game around...hell the "art of deal makeing" offers tons of untapped gameplay potential...
Wow, I have to agree with MSW. I loved Out of This World and the Prince of Persia games because of their innovative and diverse worlds. I would love to say that I enjoyed this-and-that RPG because of the same reason, but there are none to mention. Most of them could literally share the same game world. Agreed, Final Fantasy does the best job. But Final Fantasy is also becoming more and more of a simplified RPG, and less enjoyable for hardcore players.
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
Quote:

Only the ones that we have made not to be so. ;) There are many games that derive fun from conflicting aspects of reality.

I'm not arguing with this, but what does that mean?

It means that games are only not based on reality when we make them that way. We can much more easily make a game that IS based on reality. By "easily" I mean conceptually easy, i.e. it is much harder to imagine something that does not exist than something that does. There are many games in which the main points of fun are derived from the aspects of reality built into the game. The fun is derived from these aspects by the ways in which the objectives of the game interact with each other in relation to the parameters of realism. For example, the main point of many games is to stay alive. Other objectives could include fighting monsters or venturing into hostile environments, both of which are contrary to the objective of staying alive. So these objectives conflict with one another, and a priority hierarchy must be established. The fun comes from being able to figure out how to complete as many objectives as possible while violating as few as possible. When viewed from a logic system perspective, we could say that the goal is to make the evaluation of the conditions of the objectives consistent.

While it is entirely possible to have a consistent unrealistic system, the mind tends to reject such a system beyond a certain point. We want to motivate players to play our games. Designing games that do not relate sufficiently to the real world creates apathy in the player's mind; they cannot identify with the action taking place. There is no direct association between the player and his or her actions. Therefore, the player is unable to have a feeling of accomplishment from playing. This is because the concept of self is integral to a feeling of accomplishment, and games lacking realism are too far removed from a player's concept of self to evoke feelings of accomplishment or progress. As an aside, I must also mention that realism is sometimes desirable more for instilling addictiveness than fun, because of these elements of accomplishment and progress. Needless to say, addictiveness should coexist with fun. However, if affecting fun is not an issue, the addictive feeling of accomplishment can be just as additionally gratifying as fun. At any rate, for some games, realism may not be as necessary as in other games. For a first-person RPG it is absolutely essential, "so long as it does not interfere with fun." (twitching now with the aneurism I said I would have if I had to say that one more time.)

~Ranger Meldon~ M.M. .:

[Edited by - Ranger Meldon on July 11, 2005 2:54:13 PM]
~Ranger Meldon~ M.M. .:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement