My futuristic idea about colonizing Mars and Venus

Started by
99 comments, last by Endar 18 years, 6 months ago
[crying] I love you APC
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Yes, but we'd need a LOT of resources to do that. And it wouldn't address the Venus issue :)

You'd have a whole planet worth of resources. Remember, the premise is that a fusion reactor could create one element from another - and for that matter it might as well be capable of taken sunlight and converting it into matter. I think the surface temperature of Venus rules it out so I didn't bother addressing it. Of course, I suppose the orbit could be changed - but the problem with that idea is that if it went wrong, Venus could crash into the Earth - and that would be very bad.

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Here's another thought. By the time we are able to terraform Mars we will likely have figured out how to build fusion reactors and therefore how to transform the materials on Mars to make the elements needed to terraform it. So instead of transporting CO2 from Venus, it would make more sense to use a fusion reactor to create it inplace.

Yes, but we'd need a LOT of resources to do that. And it wouldn't address the Venus issue :)

@AnonymousPosterChild: It would take quite a while for those ships to travel from Venus to Mars thoug. Then if they have to return too, it would take forever to put any atmosphere in place.

With your idea, theres several hundred years between the time the pipe can link up, and even then, it would only be functional for a very short time. Not to mention the fact that it would need to be perfectly aligned with the rotation of the planet.

With this, you'd just have a fleet of ships moving about in a line, so that each dropoff would occur at roughly the same amount of time apart. Trust me, your idea would take MUCH longer.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Guys, it was just an idea; really now, no need to chew this guy to pieces.

Quote:It would take quite a while for those ships to travel from Venus to Mars thoug. Then if they have to return too, it would take forever to put any atmosphere in place.

It may, however, at the year 2050+ we might be able to find faster means of travel. (Like shifting to the next dimension and then reshifting back at a different place - E.E. 'Doc' Smith's idea. I know this probaly won't work but we may have something simular)

Great idea! Raduprv, NASA is hiring. Just so you know...
i think it would be easyer to just build thousand of domes or other types of pressurized living areas than a hose of any usefull diamater between mars and venus

EDIT with the two planets have a max dist of 358,170,579 KM, if you had that much resources to waste just build a few billion isladn 3s
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by wilhil
Excuse me, but I started by saying I dont know much about nano tech, and everything that I was talking about, I saw on the discovery chanel last night, I thought it was a joke, but they were going on about nano tech and how it would soon be available.

You might find this article interesting: Everything you always wanted to know about nanotechnology... But were too afraid of quantum spookiness to ask. You have to watch a brief advert to get to the article, but it's worth it. And then you can read this article on some of the potential applications of nanotech: The (really scary) soldier of the future. Thanks to nanotechnology, he'll be a lethal superman who can heal himself..

As for the rest of the thread - try to exercise a greater degree of diplomacy please.

//edit - as far as terraforming Mars goes, a magnetosphere is needed to protect the atmosphere from solar winds per the wikiquote. That would mean getting the core of the planet to spin and that kind of technology is centuries beyond us.

Thanks for that link, I can only read the first bit, as the computer I am on can not display adverts and I can not get to the second part.

I just want to ask here, why AnonymousPosterChild and some other people in this topic are having a go at me? All I did was say about nano tech and how I think it could be used in the future.

I would love to see this pipe in space, and frankly I am someone who beleives in tech, but I really think this is impossible and will not happen as well, simply because even if it was only 50 miles away, the speed would need to be enemous to leave orbit... basically I like the idea, but I just think there would be too many problems... anyway, I didnt anyway say I actually agree with this idea, and I am sure everything I said about nano tech, will come true, way in the future...

you said "as you can see in the 2 above posts, neither of these children have any idea what they're talking about." I just want to ask why, and I am not a Child.

My personal beleives are that somethings are too extravigant to become real, but personally nothing is completly impossible, just require time. For example most of the rules of science we have now, may be applicable, and what everyone thinks, but the truth is, most of them cancel out previous beleifs, which everyone agreed with and thought were correct as much as we beleive these.

If you were to tell me 15 years ago (about the time I was experimenting with basic coax network) that I would be connected to a thing called the internet with millions upon millions (is there a confirmed number?) of people, at over 20mbs (ok, im lucky on that one) I would think you were crazy... I would think you were crazy if you said, I would have a drive in my pc capable of storing over 150GB's, moveable usb media that can store over 512mb, and a optical drive with over 6gb capacity, more than a few TVs in a single house including a color widescreen.

hopefully you are getting what I am trying to say here! just because it sounds BIG, does not mean it is impossible, just impractical. but at the same time, I think that my nano idea, could be good :S
>wilhil<
Ok, now I am totally disgusted with the community here, so this is really going to be my last post.
I post an idea, didn't insult anyone, and get my rating down 13 points.
On the other hand, the pigs that insulted me without any valid reason got their rating increased, because, hey, they insulted Raduprv so they must be very friendly.
I think we need to destroy Mars now before it's too late.
--------
Whoisdoingthis.com - my stupid website about warning labels.
He'll be back.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement