My futuristic idea about colonizing Mars and Venus

Started by
99 comments, last by Endar 18 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
[...] the pigs that insulted me [...]

I've been out of this fight, but I don't see any insults here other than you calling others "pigs."
Advertisement
Ok, now I am totally disgusted with the community here, so this is really going to be my last post.
I post an idea, didn't insult anyone, and get my rating down 13 points.
On the other hand, the pigs that insulted me without any valid reason got their rating increased, because, hey, they insulted Raduprv so they must be very friendly.

Since you started this thread, three people rated you down, and one person rated you up. If you really want to base your assesment of an entire community on the actions of three people, that's your choice, but really, why should you care about ratings given by people from the Lounge?
Quote:Original post by LessBread
//edit - as far as terraforming Mars goes, a magnetosphere is needed to protect the atmosphere from solar winds per the wikiquote. That would mean getting the core of the planet to spin and that kind of technology is centuries beyond us.

We can already do that! Since 2003 even! [grin]

I can't stop thinking about those green pulse stations in Halo 1. What were they transporting to the other side of the halo? "Borrowing" that idea I think a transport canon would be the best choice. And making it into cool plasma-like pulses just adds to the visual effects, who cares if it would actually work? It -could kinda work- which is all that matters =P

... but the problem with that idea is that if it went wrong, Venus could crash into the Earth - and that would be very bad.

And here you have the reason for the hero to show up [grin] Zelda: Majoras Mask anyone?
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Quote:Original post by Seriema
//edit - as far as terraforming Mars goes, a magnetosphere is needed to protect the atmosphere from solar winds per the wikiquote. That would mean getting the core of the planet to spin and that kind of technology is centuries beyond us.

We can already do that! Since 2003 even! [grin]

That movie actually crossed my mind when I wrote that. I also thought about a couple of different Star Trek TNG episode when I wrote about terraforming and moving planets. The episode where Q becomes a human being involves a sub plot about moving a moon back into position. They end up using the Enterprise to envelope the moon in a warp field as a means of altering it's gravitational constant thus making it easier to move. And then there was the "ugly bags of mostly water" episode about the arrogance of human beings and the unforeseen hazards of terraforming.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
If the techology to do such a thing ever comes around we'd probably would've colonized Mars by then. Anyway, do more research and find out what (at the least) nano-machines are. We already have nano-machines but they don't compare to what cartoons and comic books teach you.
Programming since 1995.
to terraform mars (or venus or anything else) fit for human inhabitation is a major undertaking and will take centurys,
the nearest (outside solarsystem) planets are 4+ lightyears away, if i was wanting faster results of living on an earthlike world ild be looking for an earthlike one of the 1000s planets within 10-30lightyears instead of gambling at converting a planet with 1/3-1/2 G of earth.
Quote:Original post by odiousangel
It frustrates me because you seem like a nice guy and one whom shouldn't squander all his time on such things.

It frustrates me too, and I don't even think he's a nice guy.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Quote:Original post by wilhil
you said "as you can see in the 2 above posts, neither of these children have any idea what they're talking about." I just want to ask why, and I am not a Child.

BOOOOOM!!!

Hear that? Thats the sound of the joke flying over your head at such velocity that it BROKE THE SOUND BARRIER.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
For the time being we do not have the technology to do this, but with the advancements in nano technology and new materials, wouldn't it be possible in the future (maybe 500 years from now) to build some very elastic and flexible pipe between those two planets, and pump the CO2 from Venus to Mars?

Disclaimer: All of this is armchair calculations from Google, Wikipedia, and my handy CRC Reference Manual of Chemistry and Physics, 86th Edition.

Let's crunch some numbers to figure out the following:

(1) How big would this be?
(2) How much would building this cost?

Any such pipe would have to be made out of an arrangement/mesh of molecules with no lattice spaces large enough for CO2 to diffuse through. Otherwise, any pumping efforts would be utterly useless (they'd just drain right back out to wherever they were being pumped from). Since CO2 is one of the smallest molecules around, however, this material will need to be quite tight.

Carbon nanotubes would do the trick, since they're just carbon, and carbon fibers can keep CO2 out (this is what some CO2 scrubbers use to trap CO2 from recycled air). Let us suppose that the pipe has a cross-sectional diameter of 200 meters, approximately the length of Grand Central Station in New York City, and a wall thickness of 1 meter. The cross-sectional volume of an infinitely thin slice of the tube is therefore (201^2 - 200^2) * pi * dx = 401*pi*dx cubic meters, where dx is the thickness of the slice.

According to your modified plan, we'd anchor up the tubes whenever the planets passed close to each other, and then start pumping. Let's make a tremendous simplifying assumption and suppose that by the time 2505 arrives, we've already invented the technology to stabilize objects in space relative to some reference point, so that we can either fix the position of the tube relative to Venus or relative to Mars (or relative to the Sun, but that wouldn't be very useful).

The orbital period of Venus is about 225 days, while the orbital period of Mars is about 687 days. This means that they are closest to each other (assuming a perfectly circular orbit) about three times per Mars-year, or about once every 7.5 months in Earth time. Both Mars and Venus have orbital eccentricities less than 0.1 and ecliptic inclinations less than 5 degrees, so we will consider them circular for this purpose.

The Young's modulus (or "stiffness") for carbon nanotubes is approximately 1,000, which means that it takes approximately 1,000 times more stress to cause it to change shape than polypropylene, about 100 times more stress than oak wood, and about 10 times more stress than tempered titanium. As such, we won't have much time to start pumping once we attach the tubes; carbon doesn't stretch very well.

Let's suppose that we can stretch the tubes about 5% before they would approach their elastic limit and deform or break. Mars is about 9.553 AU in orbital circumference, while Venus is about 4.545 AU. The distance between Mars and Venus at their closest passes is therefore about (9.553 AU - 4.545 AU)/(2*pi) = 119,244,565,800 meters. With a 5% margin of error, that means we have about a window of about 16 Earth days every 7.5 Earth months before the planets are out of range, or about 26 (amortized) days every year.

Now we have enough information to answer (1). If the closest-pass distance is about 119 Gm, then the tube will need to be at least this long to connect the atmospheres of the two planets. Since the volume of a slice of width dx is 401*pi*dx cubic meters, the volume of a slice of width 119 Gm is 1.50221759 × 1014 m3.

The density of chiral carbon nanotubes (the kind we'd want for a super-long tunnel) is approximately 1.4 g/cm3, or 1,400 kg/m3. Therefore it would require a mass of carbon equal to DV = m = (1,400 kg/m3) * (1.5022 x 1014 m3) = 2.103 x 1017 kg, roughly equivalent to retrieving 7 inches of carbon from every point on the Earth's surface. For reference, the mass of the Earth is on the order of 10^24. (And forget about asteroid mining; the total mass of all asteroids in the Mars-Jupiter asteroid belt is less than 1/1000 of the Earth.)

The best source right now for cheap carbon is undoubtedly carbon dioxide, for which the current price is approximately $40 per ton. Since carbon comprises only about 38% of the mass of carbon dioxide, though, the effective price of the carbon in carbon dioxide is actually $106 per ton.

At $106 per ton, the cost of the raw materials is therefore USD 24.572 quadrillion. The current world GDP in USD is approximately $55.5 trillion (of which the United States alone contributes $11 trillion). The world's countries would need to invest 100% of their output over the next 254 years to be able to afford that much carbon (assuming a GDP growth rate of 4% per year). Considering it's a major challenge for most countries just to balance their budget, it might be hard to get them to invest in a gigantic space pipe. You can almost see the special-interest group attack ads: "Senator Wilkins is squandering your child's education dollars on a GIANT SPACE TUNNEL TO NOWHERE!"

Assuming a 2% rate of inflation over the next 500 years, the world would be paying the unimaginably titanic sum of USD 1.107 sextillion (1 followed by 18 zeroes) for all this carbon, which gives us the answer to (2). (And that's just the raw materials, to say nothing of the cost of moving all that carbon into space.)
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:
All the great inventions were met with laughter and distrust. A little over 100 years ago, people would laugh if you'd tell them you are going to build some device that is capable of liftoff. Telling them you are planing to build a space ship to go on the moon and back would have sounded even more ridiculous.

I'm tired of hearing this all the time. If you present an idea, and you want to be taken seriously, you have to bring arguments that sustain this particular idea, explaining, even in general terms, of why and how it would be possible. If you have to resort to "maybe in the future people will discover how to do it", you've already made the discussion non-serious. "All the great inventions were met with laughter and distrust" is not an argument. Period. The fact that many great inventions were dealt with distrust at first can't, in any way, be used as a serious argument about the validity of any crazy idea one can think of. Here's your argument:

1)Idea A was dealt with distrust at first.
2)Idea A proved possible.
3)Idea B was dealt with distrust at first.
4)Idea B will be proved possible in the future.

It's like saying "Apples are red. Apples are fruits. Bananas are fruits, therefore bananas are red". Now, some crazy ideas may be also proved possible in the future, just like there are fruits other than apples that are red, but the argument is still invalid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement