Favorite Programming Language?

Started by
135 comments, last by umbrae 16 years, 4 months ago
Favorite - Python since it pretty much lets you program at the speed of though;)
least favorite - Perl since you can't it looks like chicken scratch not to mention you can't read any of your own code after several months!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
C# for the bulk of my work, liking the c# 3.0 features too. Python for it's syntax and just general awesomeness, but .NET provides the best libraries... Boo would will above all if it had the power of C# 3.0 as well (like extension methods, etc - which to be fair, it might acutally have already).
Oliver Charles (aka aCiD2) [ Cycles Blog ]
My favorite language these days is D, but C will always hold a special place in my heart.
It feels like it changes on a daily basis. Last week it was Forth. This week it's Ruby. Next week it'll be Common Lisp. The week after that, it'll probably be something different entirely.

I simply love experimenting with different languages.

EDIT: As for my least favorite, I might have to go with Erlang. For a while it was VB, but after writing some things with it, it started to grow on me. Erlang, on the other hand, just rubs me the wrong way.
Pascal (Delphi)

Because it's simple, easy to understand, and powerful enough to let me write the games I want to make. :)
Torn between C and OCaml.

C# ain't a bad implementation of an OO language though.
Anthony Umfer
Quote:Original post by NickHighIQ
All languages are the same, remember? What can I say in English that I can't say in Swahili or French (if I knew them - and yes, it is a metaphor, deal with it). Although, unlike with real languages, the language you learn first is not necessarily your most fluent or favourite.

True, but only applies to Turing complete languages. Also certain things are much easier to say in some (spoken) languages than others; most languages have single words for concepts which would require one or more sentences to describe in some other language. The same goes for programming languages.

If I have to pick one favourite I'd have to say C# at the moment; but as others have pointed out there is no one favourite, as different languages are suitable for different tasks.
Best regards, Omid
All languages are the same, remember? What can I say in English that I can't say in Swahili or French (if I knew them - and yes, it is a metaphor, deal with it). Although, unlike with real languages, the language you learn first is not necessarily your most fluent or favourite.

I completely disagree. Just because you may be able to achieve the same end result does not make two different approaches the same.

As for "real" languages, while there may be similarities in the end result, the differences in non-trivial examples are often large enough for people to agree that the result is not the "same."

Oh, and Python.
Quote:Original post by visage
Professional studies have shown that they were only thought out 2/5ths as well. A real tragedy.

STL's planning began in 1979, that's 28 almost 29 years of planning. .NET was started in the late 90's, that's, what, 8 or 9 years. With 2 decades on it of course STL is going to be better thought out! God I hate people's ignorance.

And I hate people's inability to understand sarcasm on the internet.
I like Objective-C.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement