Lithtech vs. Quake III

Started by
21 comments, last by Elliott AGP 22 years, 9 months ago
I''m currently working with a team that is using LithTech 3.1 for our first real project. I have to admit, LT is far better than Quake3, in both engine structure and design. I''m not saying this to have any disrespect towards IDSoftware, Its just LithTech was ment to make different types of games and not just kill everything-ask questions later. It has support for RPGs, etc..
The only thing i dont like is DEdit is a bit hard to get used too compaired to QERadiant.

Thanks-
Nate Strandberg
Director, Business Relations
Dira Interactive Studios
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.."
Advertisement
Excellent, well I certainly hope to see more people running with the software. Have you got hooke dup on LTdev yet? if so send me your username and I will talk with you about our project. Also DEdits is ugraded in v3.1 to support curved surfaces and easier to use UI Damn it''s about time an engine edged into the quakers domain.

No one can run without taking a first step.
Elliott-
Have you gotten the LT 3.1 upgrade yet? I was just informed it was released.
I''m new to offically using LithTech, although i''ve been around since it was called DirectEngine-So I dont know large amounts of details as of yet (still working with them on the final details of the license).

If you could contact me on ICQ, my number is 68912304

thanks-
Nate Strandberg
Director, Business Relations
Dira Interactive Studios
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.."
quote:Original post by Elliott AGP

Politely I must correct you, marketing is still akey advantage held by the quake engine simply because it is still the asskicker. Until next week it will be the top engine in the world that supports both 32 bit texturing and curved surfaces, among other features, that fact alone is enough to hype any project, I would know, trust me.

Ok, Ill trust you. After all, you must know. Since you asked the question here, and dont see a difference between $50k base and $300k base, you must be a marketeer, and thus know marketing.
just to correct you, again, I might add, the base I am reffering to is the market base, and not merely the engine base cost. If you think I made a mistake, then call me a dumbass, but the 250,000 dollar fee is the only one comparable to quake III in technology and MCA at it''s base cost. I am comparing them as engines with similar features and support, not at their cost. You are right in saying that the technology can be afforded by the user at a majorly reduced cost, however then you lose the support that makes the engine a viable option. If you were to pay fifty grand for the quake III engine you would get the manuals.

quote:Original post by Elliott AGP

just to correct you, again, I might add, the base I am reffering to is the market base, and not merely the engine base cost.

"Market base", as in what exactly?

The engine is a set of code which performs a function. The engine will have some form of documentation. The engine will have some form of support. The engine should assume to work, or allow fixes for current bugs when you purchase it.

Varying levels of support would be expected for improved prices. If you have a competent team you should only need a base level of support unless you are trying to do large changes to the engine, or work in an extremely high paced time scale.

If you are going to do large changes to the engine, you may in fact be better off not buying an engine as all engines are using well known industry techniques.

If you are working with a high paced time scale, then you will be doing no engine changes, and should purchase an engine that can be used with no modification and minimal input to make it work.

Otherwise its a bad project fit, and being purchased out of some other desire than to save time on the project. For instance, trying to make a project with inaddequate skills or experience.

quote: If you think I made a mistake, then call me a dumbass, but the 250,000 dollar fee is the only one comparable to quake III in technology and MCA at it''s base cost. I am comparing them as engines with similar features and support, not at their cost.

If you find these methods of comparison useful, more power to you. Other people will most likely not benefit from them as 200k is a pretty big deal for some ''higher support levels''. If an engine is so poorly documented or implemented that your programmers can not understand it with a few emails and the provided docs, then you either need a better engine (in all aspects) or more experienced programmers who can figure things out better.

For 200k, you can hire two extremely experienced programmers to write you an engine in less time than it would take to muck around needing 30 hours of support.

At least, if you know who to hire.

quote:You are right in saying that the technology can be afforded by the user at a majorly reduced cost, however then you lose the support that makes the engine a viable option. If you were to pay fifty grand for the quake III engine you would get the manuals.

This is a ridiculous statement. If you cant buy the engine at a price, you simply cant buy the engine. The manual to the quake engine, without the quake engine, is worth exactly $0.
I''d have to choose the Unreal engine or, if you''re willing to deal with Sierra (BAD BAD BAD IDEA, DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER) Half-Life engine. If you can wrangle the Blue Shift engine it would be even better, as that''s been upgraded beyond belief. The problem, I find, with Q3 and LithTech is that Q3 runs like a pig on 3Dfx cards, of which there are still many, and it doesn''t work on Direct3D. I believe LithTech is similar. Unreal comes with D3D, OGL, Glide, and software support. Half-Life used to have D3D,software, and OGL, they might still. Just my $0.02...
http://edropple.com
I dunno Edward NOLF ran great on my Voodoo 5
Your saying that the money to purchase the manual, *which is worth $0) is worthless. That was my point. The engines are based not only on technology my friend but also by their ability to hold a market share due to better support or marketing potential. In any other way you would be correct in saying that the LithTech engine is more viable in terms of funds...
Your saying that the money to purchase the manual, *which is worth $0) is worthless. That was my point. The engines are based not only on technology my friend but also by their ability to hold a market share due to better support or marketing potential. In any other way you would be correct in saying that the LithTech engine is more viable in terms of funds...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement