Lithtech vs. Quake III

Started by
21 comments, last by Elliott AGP 22 years, 9 months ago
I noticed the thread about Lithtech, and have a question. How did you guys get things going with it? Did you go through all of the samples and the Shogo source, or were there other tutorials available?

Also, I''m having trouble with the concept of the engine. Not so much the messaging part, but the structure. If I understand it correctly, the server controls the game (ie. level objects, physics, etc.), but the client controls where the camera is in the world and player input? Does that even sound right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
wow.. This looks like it died off =)
To answer the last few questions from DJ_House, if you still care that is..
1) We dont get the shogo code actually, its the NOLF code which is ''basically'' what you can download for MODing. Tutorial wise? Personally I feel the samples were a bit ''under'' documented. I''m currently having a few problems getting the client camera positioned correctly.
2)Basically your correct. Object.lto (The server) controls the logic of you''re game. Creating level objects, letting new clients into the game, control of the higher level physics, etc is done here.
CShell.dll (Client) - Close. The client doesn''t control where the camera is positioned, it does have control to set the position (If you choose), but the server is the one that actually does the position setting using the LTPhysics system.

Not sure if I answered you''re questions, but I tired =)
If I got anything wrong ( Lets hope not =) ) please correct me. I''m still learning about the ''new'' LithTech, the last time I delt with this system it was called DirectEngine.. heh

-Nate
"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.."
Well you are right in several issues, the demos are under documented and the source is NOLF. However Dj_house, you have to understand that the game server code is unfortunatley uneditable unless you purchase the source from LithTech... However that means that modders may be able to change that kind of environmental code client side.
No one can run without taking a first step.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement