Do you have original game artwork sitting on your hard drive you probably won't use?

Started by
14 comments, last by SkylerBubier 12 years, 7 months ago
Game developers put countless hours into the development of their projects and not all are as successful (or even as complete) as the developer would originally hope they would be. All that art and music assets that you develop from scratch could potentially be utilized by others.

If you are willing to zip up your game artwork and put it online in our marketplace with some screenshots of the assets you can still recoup some of your development costs. You can also breathe new life into your work by letting other developers work with your art for a small fee of your choosing.

For this post, you don't have to commit to anything.. but what are some projects that you have sitting on your hard drive that have original art that others could use? For me personally, I've got a bunch of stuff I just made for an asteroids style game for my students.. mostly 2D sprites and even a few particle textures I used with the XNA-based Mercury particle engine (such as blood splatters).

If you are interested in participating, PM me and we'll get you started as quickly as possible. After you are set up you will have full control over the products that you create and sell on our site!
Advertisement

Game developers put countless hours into the development of their projects and not all are as successful (or even as complete) as the developer would originally hope they would be. All that art and music assets that you develop from scratch could potentially be utilized by others.

If you are willing to zip up your game artwork and put it online in our marketplace with some screenshots of the assets you can still recoup some of your development costs. You can also breathe new life into your work by letting other developers work with your art.

For this post, you don't have to commit to anything.. but what are some projects that you have sitting on your hard drive that have original art that others could use? For me personally, I've got a bunch of stuff I just made for an asteroids style game for my students.. mostly 2D sprites and even a few particle textures I used with the XNA-based Mercury particle engine (such as blood splatters).

you should accept code along with artwork. I am sure you would find some very interesting things.
"It's like naming him Asskicker Monstertrucktits O'Ninja" -Khaiy

I thought this is about a game project that has run off of its course, not about game artworks, according to the announcement.

Is it still okay if I can view an abandoned game project (not mainly artwork, I meant the source codes)?

EDIT:

I re-read the announcement, and it did say about abandoned game project, and using original artworks to re-coup some parts of the game development losses.

So, are these two (game project and game artwork) related in this announcement?

I thought this is about a game project that has run off of its course, not about game artworks, according to the announcement.

Is it still okay if I can view an abandoned game project (not mainly artwork, I meant the source codes)?

EDIT:

I re-read the announcement, and it did say about abandoned game project, and using original artworks to re-coup some parts of the game development losses.

So, are these two (game project and game artwork) related in this announcement?

It's about selling the art portions of your game project in order to make back some money. For those out there who just have a game they made sitting on their hard drives, it's a great way to reuse the art from that game and help out their fellow developer. Selling these assets in the marketplace can also serve as an extra income source.

- Michael

If you are willing to zip up your game artwork and put it online in our marketplace with some screenshots of the assets you can still recoup some of your development costs. You can also breathe new life into your work by letting other developers work with your art for a small fee of your choosing.

If you are interested in participating, PM me and we'll get you started as quickly as possible. After you are set up you will have full control over the products that you create and sell on our site!

How do you upload old artwork?
Damn, now I know what I'm doing this weekend...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Contact me with a few samples. If it passes the "looks good" test I'll hook you up with a marketplace account and details on how to upload your products.
Just curious, how will it be handled if someone uploads art from an old project and starts selling the art and then an artist who worked on that dead project comes along and says "hey I made that stuff for that project! Where's my cut?" Considering that alot of the dead projects around here are 'I'll pay you when we make money' type projects something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.

Just curious, how will it be handled if someone uploads art from an old project and starts selling the art and then an artist who worked on that dead project comes along and says "hey I made that stuff for that project! Where's my cut?" Considering that alot of the dead projects around here are 'I'll pay you when we make money' type projects something like this is bound to happen sooner or later.

Well...People shouldn't put the art for sale if they didn't do it. They should ask the artist first.
But realistically I agree with you thats bound to happen.

It would be good to get some Free content up there too (currently that category is empty!). One of the problems in my experience is that whilst there's a lot of free-as-in-beer to download (particularly if you look at the modding community) - so there are clearly people willing to work non-commercially - finding stuff with a proper licensing is hard. So even if you find a free model, where chances are the artist doesn't care if it's distributed for free, you can't be sure under what circumstances it's legal to include in your project.

Creative Commons has done a lot of work to encourage people to add licences, but it would be good to have game development oriented sites hositng such material.

I have a collection of (other people's) free work that I've sourced from various places, so I can always upload these when I get a chance.

I see there is a "Free" category - out of interest, if people upload under this category, are they prompted to enter a licence? If not, I think that would be good - as I say, I've seen too many sites where I'm told it's a "Free download", with no indication of what rights I have to distribute that in my game.

(Actually, on that note, even for the paid content, I can't see anywhere where it discusses what licence the artwork is given to you if you buy them? E.g., is it a cost per game, or a cost per person to then use for anything?)

Re: disputes over who did the work. If gamedev is hosted in the US, this can be handled via the DMCA.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement