GameDev.net 2012

Started by
123 comments, last by Gaiiden 12 years, 2 months ago

Any suggestions? We were drawing blanks on alternatives - here in the states we call em classified ads.

That's a tough one, maybe others could jump in? I do think that something like Jobs & Recruitment would be better, even though it's not very elegant.
Advertisement
Gaiiden just made Wildbunny's post an article. Though the actual content is through a link in the post.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

That's a tough one, maybe others could jump in? I do think that something like Jobs & Recruitment would be better, even though it's not very elegant.

There's also the consideration we need to make to keep the menu bar from growing too large laterally and breaking the styling on smaller screen resolutions. "Jobs & Recruitment" might be too long

Gaiiden just made Wildbunny's post an article. Though the actual content is through a link in the post.

Got it. I tweaked it a bit to not describe a singe tutorial since it links to a page that will list a bunch of them. Also what do you think about the process of clicking on the article link in the DirectX and XNA resources tab and then having to click on the external link to actually get to the article content?

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Whoops, sorry I approved the wrong article hah :P Ok turns out the Promote to Article makes it an article w/o waiting for me to approve it. Don't know if I like that...

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Unless the author requested otherwise, personally, I would like for the content to be right there. I'm a "as few clicks as possible" kinda guy smile.png

If the article is not actually under article tab, can't it just go to the article?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Now that I found the "Last Post" button with your help it has somewhat nasty behaviour. It's actually "last unread post". But if the thread is marked read the button is gone. I cannot go to the last post in that thread anymore unless doing it manual. Would be nice to still have the possibility to jump there.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Unless the author requested otherwise, personally, I would like for the content to be right there. I'm a "as few clicks as possible" kinda guy Posted Image

If the article is not actually under article tab, can't it just go to the article?

It's been decided to keep the link in, so you will have to click through to the article. Besides letting people comment on the article locally, it also lets us populate the tab of related content so people who land on this link through a web search will possibly find additional content that suits them

Now that I found the "Last Post" button with your help it has somewhat nasty behaviour. It's actually "last unread post". But if the thread is marked read the button is gone. I cannot go to the last post in that thread anymore unless doing it manual. Would be nice to still have the possibility to jump there.

By "doing it manual" I assume you mean entering the thread and then scrolling down? A better option that also takes one click is to use the link for the thread's last post date - that will take you right to the end of the thread, which would be the last post you saw when you last read the thread if no new posts were made since then

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Anything with a Bug or Idea prefix has been added to our internal issues tracker - I've also went back through this thread and pulled out some things as well.

I'd ask that if you have any general topics to discuss you continue to do so here but if you have pointed feedback or a specific issue to report make a new thread and prefix it accordingly.

sankya veddy much

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

There's also the consideration we need to make to keep the menu bar from growing too large laterally and breaking the styling on smaller screen resolutions. "Jobs & Recruitment" might be too long

I understand. I've been giving it some thought and I came to the conclusion that Classified Ads, which was mentioned by Michael, would probably be the best fit here. Plus it's only 3 extra characters.

Also, didn't we have https at one stage (if maybe briefly)? It doesn't seem to work anymore...

This is fixed now

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement