The Week of Awesome II - Unnofficial After Party

Started by
86 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 7 months ago

Zip is only built in windows 8 if im not mistaken... It didnt came with mine i can tell you this much...

Zip has been part of Windows since... I dunno, at least XP. In explorer, right click -> New -> Compressed (Zipped) Folder. Then drag the files you want into it.

Advertisement

Orymus game gotta be the most frustrating one in a while, and my favorite so far. :) Can't even guess how many tries the last segment needed.

I'm curious about something: why have so many folks have packaged up their games in .rar instead of .zip? Zip functionality is built into Windows and MacOS, and .rar requires a 3rd party app to package/extract. I was playing some of the compo games at a friend's place last night and we passed on the ones that were packaged as .rar since he didn't want to bother downloading winrar or whatever was necessary to extract it.

Is there some advantage I'm not seeing of .rar? It just seems like it's a PITA.

Compression ratio.

Personally I have been using 7zip for my stuff because it does an even better job of compression over rar (~10% difference).

The only questionable thing I have with 7zip is corrupted archive recovery.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Orymus game gotta be the most frustrating one in a while, and my favorite so far. Can't even guess how many tries the last segment needed.

Thank you, that means a lot :) Litterally had a very few pool of playtesters during production of this game, so I didn't quite know if I was hitting the fun :)

Zip has been part of Windows since... I dunno, at least XP. In explorer, right click -> New -> Compressed (Zipped) Folder. Then drag the files you want into it.

I realized that after archiving it. That's why my final delivery is .zip.

I'm not a big fan of winrar either, but it turns out I had to install it on this computer most likely to unrar another file and it crept in my windows menu making it a 2 click operations...

For .rar files I can recommend an app called "IZArc2Go", no install needed.

@Jack i know right, what type of party iss this without at least a few booze to unwind with!

I challenge thee to have proper booze for the next edition!

@Jack i know right, what type of party iss this without at least a few booze to unwind with!

I challenge thee to have proper booze for the next edition!

hey man, i didn't host the afterparty! =-P
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

hey man, i didn't host the afterparty! =-P

The correct answer was: Google Hangout? :P

Litterally had a very few pool of playtesters during production of this game ...

You had play-testers? You had time for play-testing? 0_0

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I did. Brother-in-law, gf and daughter!

My post-mortem will detail this, but evidently, I had a completed game on Day 5. Just not the same game I've ended up delivering on Day 7.

My gf actually playtested the core mechanics and a dummy level as early as Day 3 I believe.

My game was a very simple concept, but key is execution, and even at the scale of 7 days, you need playtesters because you become too familiar with your creation.

My gf is actually a decent gamer, so when she started struggling with the previous version of the rotating pencil, I knew I had erred.

Believe it or not, the pencil used to rotate twice as fast, and there was no save between the pencil and actual moving erasers (and even these were tougher to beat as the surface was not nearly as large). She made me avoid this critical flaw in my game, even though I, actually managed to beat that sequence relatively effortlessly.

Play-testing is critical. If you don't have time, TAKE the time :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement