Anyone know what API and library Pokemon games are built with?

Started by
17 comments, last by RLS0812 9 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know what API and library Pokemon games are built with? I am interested in making a game like pokemon, but I was wondering if they used API's or libraries that are publicly available.

Advertisement
Nintendo provides their own collection of software libraries for the platforms.

There are also libraries and tools available within Nintendo's ecosystem, but you need to be registered with them to get access. And to get registered, you need to be making a game on the platform, which in turn means you need to work at a company developing games for the platform.

If you're a hobbyist you might look into RPG Maker as a possible option -- otherwise if you're looking for a lower-level option just about any popular library or engine used for making games should be capable.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Anyone know what API and library Pokemon games are built with?

Probably more ARM assembly than you could bargain for.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Very highly doubtful. Even Nintendo’s main franchises are heavily outsourced, and even in-house code is surprisingly poorly written.
Except in rare cases, Nintendo only hires people directly out of school (this is common throughout Japan but more-so in Nintendo). And with most Japanese companies, a few seniors and a bunch of drones.

The bigger the game, the longer the credits list.
The longer the credits list the more bad code in the game.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Very highly doubtful. Even Nintendo’s main franchises are heavily outsourced, and even in-house code is surprisingly poorly written.

I don't see how that is related to what I said.

The bigger the game, the longer the credits list.
The longer the credits list the more bad code in the game.

IIRC, all Gameboy Advance pokemon games had like 2 programmers at most, you're probably thinking of games like Super Smash Brothers or Zelda games. I don't know about current Pokemon games (ie, for the 3DS) but I doubt it has changed that much (hardware surely doesn't looks like it changed that much).

EDIT: Yeah, the GBA had a bit less than 500KB of memory. You're not going to run Javascript on that precisely.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

Nobody I know who works at Nintendo has written any significant assembly code for any game they've worked on since the GBA, and I've never done it / seen it done the few places I've been that had Nintendo-platform devkits (or, frankly, any other console). I've never worked on the DS line of systems, admittedly, but I suspect any assembly that's in use there is wrapped up into the aforementioned ecosystem libraries and not written by programmers implementing the meat-and-potatoes of the actual game code.

Anyone know what API and library Pokemon games are built with? I am interested in making a game like pokemon, but I was wondering if they used API's or libraries that are publicly available.

Whatever libraries they are using are irrelevant to you. And you certainly don't have access to all (or perhaps any of them) anyway. If you want to make a game like Pokemon yourself, you can use just about any available engine or middleware - just pick one that is based on technology you're already familiar with, so you have less of a learning curve to contend with, and get going.
Pokemon-style games are well within the capability of game construction tools like RPGMaker, as well (as has been previously suggested).

Nobody I know who works at Nintendo has written any significant assembly code for any game they've worked on since the GBA, and I've never done it / seen it done the few places I've been that had Nintendo-platform devkits (or, frankly, any other console). I've never worked on the DS line of systems, admittedly, but I suspect any assembly that's in use there is wrapped up into the aforementioned ecosystem libraries and not written by programmers implementing the meat-and-potatoes of the actual game code.
Fair enough.

APIs are used for things like physics, playing sounds, creating windows, receiving input, networking, and displaying graphics.

Most APIs typically don't contain game logic and game design. You can use entirely different APIs and make the same game, or you can use exactly the same APIs and make entirely different games.

Engines and SDKs like RPG Maker, Game Maker, and Construct (beginner friendly) or Unity, Unreal, and Source (more advanced), often contain more game logic than basic APIs. But even so, you still have to make the game - the SDK that Nintendo uses is only available to licensed Nintendo developers and costs serious money. Usually a requirement is that you have a secure corporate office so nobody can break in and steal the SDK. As for the engine that Pokemon uses, that's probably only available to the Pokemon developers themselves (GameFreak).

What's your goal? To play around as a hobby, or to make a commercial game to sell?

If you are trying to go commercial, you'll probably need to learn computer programming, which is a longer journey taking several years. You have to choose a language, invest work into learning that language (sticking with it for at least two years), while making smaller projects for learning purposes along the way before achieving your actual goal.

If you are just wanting to play around, try RPG Maker, Game Maker or Construct 2

I don't see how that is related to what I said.

Just because it is a Nintendo brand doesn’t mean their team is all in-house Nintendo-hardware-know-it-alls.
You’re expecting that big-name games such as Pokémon will have a hardcore team of Nintendo buffs who know the hardware inside and out (probably because they work directly at Nintendo), but the only thing that gets that kind of special love is the SDK and samples that ship with the development kits.

My experience is the same as Josh Petrie’s. No one I know who works or worked at Nintendo (or has worked on any direct Nintendo brands via outsourcing) knows or uses a lot of assembly.
You will find all of the high-performance assembly code in the SDK that ships with their devices, but the people who put games on top of that SDK aren’t often using assembly.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement