Why didn't somebody tell me?

Started by
182 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 4 months ago

Are you symbolically linking 'bin' to "Program Files", or were you just explaining what 'bin' is, for conformist Windows-using lemmings like myself?

It would seem more useful to create a C:\bin directory, and then symlink every executable in C:\Program Files into that directory...

Then you set PATH=C:\bin, and you are cooking with (some sort of) fire

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

I always thought the saying was "Disaster adverted" until I looked up the definition of adverted... It is "Disaster averted". =(

I'm very confused :)

I always thought the saying was "Disaster adverted" until I looked up the definition of adverted... It is "Disaster averted". =(

Disaster advertised.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

One of our mostly harmless robots seems to think you are not a human.
Because of that, it’s hidden your profile from the public. If you really are human, please contact support to have your profile reinstated. We promise we won’t require DNA proof of your humanity.

So thank you github, but this does not explain why I sucks at maths. Or maybe I was just programmed with Java.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

Consistency? Pretty much every program will let Ctrl+C work as long as anything is selected, that's just how the clipboard works. If anything, Visual Studio is letting you to work around that =O)

EDIT: wait, are you talking about like when you select a blank line and accidentally copy it, or literally when absolutely nothing is selected? If the latter then yeah that's horribly dumb...

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Yeah, with no selection I want Cut/Copy to affect all. Esp. annoying in painting apps, that simply do nothing without selection instead of simply copying the whole image.

Did you know the (Windows) clipboard can contain different formats at once? You can insert an image as image (duh, but several kinds of image are possible) plus for example a custom type to contain more metadata. Normal programs can paste an image, your program can act on the custom type.

Also, at least in explorer, in the tree view, pressing left repeatly closes the folder you're in (if it's expanded) or moves to the next parent (if it's closed).
Alt-Numblock-* will open the next level of all sub folders under the selected one.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Yeah the multiple formats one is intentional, for example you can have both rich text and plain text too, that's how programs don't barf when trying to paste text from elsewhere.

It actually goes all the way back to Windows 1. The original idea was basically the Unix philosophy but in GUI form: each program was good at handling one task, and they communicate with each other through the clipboard (much like the pipe does on the command line in Unix). Just look at this presentation (skip to 3:29 if needed), dBase handles a database but can copy an entire field into Write as text, Chart can generate a basic pie chart but not much more but it can copy that chart into Paint as an image (which you can use to make it prettier). Write then can also take the image from Paint to embed it into the document (and if you didn't care about making the pie chart pretty, you could just copy from Chart directly into Write, again as an image).

Kind of amusing how we settled on mamooth programs that try to do everything on its own instead when that was the very thing Windows was intended to prevent.

Also, at least in explorer, in the tree view, pressing left repeatly closes the folder you're in (if it's expanded) or moves to the next parent (if it's closed).
Alt-Numblock-* will open the next level of all sub folders under the selected one.

Whooa, this one is nice! Appears to be standard treeview controls too, works in an app I work on as well, except it appears to do fully recursive expansion. Not recommended on unlimited dynamic nodes..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement