Are Data Limits Hurting Anything, Such As Online Gaming?

Started by
55 comments, last by ronan.thibaudau 9 years ago

Oh well, if a number promises something and its from a company selling network access or storage mediums, then its typically always the interpretation yielding the highest number for the lowest effort.

I would guess some even count stopbits and parity bits in their bits per second number (shortened to bps to make it ambiguous enough for many unaware people to confuse bits and bytes), when users typically care about only usable data bytes.

Advertisement

That's a good point. I believe that some kind of measuring standard for data usage should be in effect for consumer protection and to encourage fair competition.

Am I correct that bits are more accurate than bytes and that actual bits used is fair rather than stopbits?

Somehow everybody needs to be using the same terms and measurements, in my view.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Am I correct that bits are more accurate than bytes?
wat

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Am I correct that bits are more accurate than bytes?

wat

Yeah, you have to be using bits. Bits is the future and you wouldn't want to be using less accurate Internets pipes. They might go somewhere else than where you want to be. :lol:

Well, there ARE non-8-bit-byte machines, unicorns that they might be. I personally don't care whether people use bits or bytes as a measurement, but I don't design low-level network hardware either.

Well, there ARE non-8-bit-byte machines, unicorns that they might be

There are also a lot of network protocols that take more than 8 bits to transmit an 8-bit byte...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

netflix in max quality is bursting to 100MB/s
That's 838Gbps!? Do you have a 1Gbps connection?

Not sure how you got to that number, did you mean mbps? because i can see where X8 comes from (megabyte to megabit), but not why the X8000 (100 mégabytes is not 800 gigabits . . .)

And yes i'm on fiber, i don't actually have gigabit (i have 500mbit down) but they seem to let it go past just fine so sometimes it'll burst for more, but yea the lines are 1gbit ready

Edit: i see you already answered that, didn't finish reading the thread before i answered. Should edit it in your OP tho :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement