So, what happened to god games ?

Started by
32 comments, last by Krypt0n 8 years, 11 months ago

Over the last two decades god games almost vanished completely, but why ? I loved all the old god games like populus or DK, but similar to RTS games which have a hard time too, god games just seemed to disappeared.

Is it, that they are too complex, that they are hybrid of several other game genres ? That they are difficult to port to console (like RTS games) ? That they were never really successful, thought they have a loyal fan community ? No modding community ? To boring ? No competive multiplayer community ?

When regarding RTS games, then there are at least still some big names around (eg SC2), but what about god games ?

What do you think ?

Advertisement

Yes, I think it's a real shame.

Personally, I got turned off by the fact that as god games became more complex, I seemed to spend more and more time doing really boring micromanagement tasks.

Black and White in particular had the odd situation where I was playing as a super powerful god, but I seemed to spend all my time being a child minder to stupid minions. Now Godus combines similar tedious micro management with farmville-esque clicking-on-stuff-to-collect-it.

So I ended up making a god game which focuses on global war and destructive acts-of-god because I think the key thing about god games is the wielding of power, not worrying about minutiae.

Black and White in particular had the odd situation where I was playing as a super powerful god, but I seemed to spend all my time being a child minder to stupid minions. Now Godus combines similar tedious micro management with farmville-esque clicking-on-stuff-to-collect-it.

This. The problem with god games and RTSs for that matter is they require resource management. The problem with any resource management game is that it is very easy to add an F2P monitization strategy. I think even developers who set out to create a quality God Game with the best intentions get to the point where they say "Hey hang on.. I'm making a game that I could sell for $30 and have niche appeal or I could just turn it into a cow clicker and get millions of players." So yeah God Games haven't gone the way of the odd they have just evolved into FarmVille.

I'd say Molyneux ran them to the ground by "overpromising" (aka, lying) for two decades.

Black and White in particular had the odd situation where I was playing as a super powerful god, but I seemed to spend all my time being a child minder to stupid minions

And I loved it that way :3 Specially when your creature went and randomly took a poop on top of the villagers because I WORK IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I don't think god games have vanished, I think they've pretty much merged with sim city type games and RTS games. Look at Exiled, Reus, and Skyward collapse.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Black and White in particular had the odd situation where I was playing as a super powerful god, but I seemed to spend all my time being a child minder to stupid minions.

Hmmm... I think that this is partly a problem of the player himself. Many players will try to optimize the game and doing all the stuff yourself will most likely always beat the gamelogic/AI. So, is the option to interact directly with your minions a desgin flaw ? It is similar to save games, once they are in, user will quick save/load through any challenge they encounter. But isn't the direct interaction with your minions one of difference to a pure simulation game (compare them to Sims or Settlers) ?

The problem with any resource management game is that it is very easy to add an F2P monitization strategy.

This might be true for the recent games (~5-7 years, or the newest installment of Dungeon Keeper) , but the lack of godmode games reaches back longer than F2P games.

I'd say Molyneux ran them to the ground by "overpromising" (aka, lying) for two decades.

Godus got "overpromised", B&W was "overhyped", nevertheless, most godgames were created by Molyneux , when ignoring direct clones.

I don't think god games have vanished, I think they've pretty much merged with sim city type games and RTS games. Look at Exiled, Reus, and Skyward collapse.

Maybe this is an identity problem. Looking at the games you have mentioned, or comparing Populus, Dungeon Keeper and Black & White, then all games are really different, it is even hard to define a core game mechanism. Comparing this to FPS or RTS games, you often have lot in common.

What have godgames in common ? I think, that godgames are often grounded in life-simulation, that the player as a god has some power to interact beyond being just a commander.

Black and White was awful...

The creature was cool.... mess around a little bit, and in no time, your creature learned stupid stuff. Mine picked up a habbit of destroying my villages by throwing rocks at it, because I loved rock bowling.... and yes, sometimes I didn't notice that the creature was watching. Ooops. I had to do a lot of cleaning up afterwards, especially after the creatues habit took a turn for the worse when it run out of rocks... now villagers started flying.... weee, so much for my "be a nice god" playthrough :)

but the villagers deserved everything they got. Actually, more than the creature, they themselve where the reason why my god turned evil in no time. After just minutes of watching them be their incredibly stupid and whiny self, you had this itch to sacrifice them on the altar... either that or just throw rocks at them. Or throw them around.... yes, maybe I did train the creature to be evil. But it was all the villagers fault. Honestly. They didn't deserve any other treatment.

In the end, that made the game pretty much unplayable to me, besides novelty stuff like "see if you can collect ALL trees in a level", "see if you can destroy the village on the other island still under other gods influence by artillery rock throwing", "see what stupid things you can teach the creature today", "lets torture the villagers some more for being useless pieces of shit".

After the novelty wore off, I deleted it from my disk and never looked back.

Whilst Black and White was annoying and Peter Molyneux has always over promised, the one got game that really underwhelmed me was Spore. It promised to be so much but turned out to be just a bunch of mini games loosely bolted together,

So a god-game is a game in which you play a god? It sounds like calling Total War an emperor-gameseries (instead of TBS with zoomed combat and macro-economy) and saying these are rare(while the Age of Wonders series generally does the same things but is a "wizards"-game. I think older god-games were basically experimental sandbox-games geared towards semi-older players, but as time progressed sandbox-games became just sandbox-games and the more mature games restricted their players to make the game harder and more realistic.

So a god-game is a game in which you play a god? It sounds like calling Total War an emperor-gameseries (instead of TBS with zoomed combat and macro-economy) and saying these are rare(while the Age of Wonders series generally does the same things but is a "wizards"-game. I think older god-games were basically experimental sandbox-games geared towards semi-older players, but as time progressed sandbox-games became just sandbox-games and the more mature games restricted their players to make the game harder and more realistic.

I'm refering this definition more or less. It shares a lot of features with many other genres, most with RTS and simulation games, but there are some important differences.

For one you have the power to interact with your minions by influencing them in/directly. Eg. a lightning bolt cast as god or picking up your minions. In a RTS game on the other hand, it is not possible to manipulate the environment/minions directly, you only give orders.

The second aspect of a god game compared to RTS game is, that your minions are mostly self-sufficient and the goal of the game is not war in the first place. Your minions simulate artifical life to some degree, which is part of the challenge (how to get your stupid minions doing X or Y ?) . RTS games have often a very strong focus on battle, almost none on simulation and all about direct commands/orders.

I think older god-games were basically experimental sandbox-games geared towards semi-older players

Taking a look at dungeon keeper, then I wouldn't call it exactly a sandbox, because you have a clear level goal. Some god games might be experiemental or sandbox, but it isn't necessary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement