Anyhow after I played my fair share of BF2142 I got bored and decided to start on a programming project. Now, I have a pretty poor track record of starting what I finish, so at the moment I'm just tinkering rather than trying to start a real project. I've been using Ravuya's Propane Injector to see if I could make a top-down 2D space shooter demo, and so far I've had decent success (I've only put about 2 days work into it).
In the interest of full disclosure the ship and station I stole from Cosmic Rift, if I actually ever make a game out of this I'll have to draw up some nifty programmer art.
So far I've got the following things implemented:
- Ship controlled with WASD, uses some really simple physics to let you accelerate/decelerate and bounces you off of obstacles.
- Simple particle class to let you fire a weapon from the ship.
- Camera follows the ship as you move it around, scrolling over a map.
Here's a partial list of what I hope to get done in the near future:
- Get a simple HUD working that can display some game data
- Finish the weapons system so that you can shoot AND destroy objects
- Figure out a better system for scrolling background, right now the background is actually a huge PropaneActor object that just never moves. I'd like to make some kind of simple tiled background.
- Add sound effects to the ship and some background music
- Do some all around polishing, and come up with a simple task to complete in the demo so that it's fun.
No guarantees on any of that - I'm hoping to finish it in the next week before I go back to the university. Once I get there I won't have too much time on my hands, so unless I'm excited about what I got done in the demo it'll probably get dropped.