My heatsink is stuck to my CPU...

Started by
10 comments, last by ChurchSkiz 17 years, 11 months ago
Ok, so I decided it was about time I got an AMX64 X2 to upgrade my PC, and I can put the old CPU (AMD 64 3500) in my server. OK, the new CPU works great. The problem is that the old CPU is stuck to the damn heatsink. I've tried twisting it gently, and pulling it off, but it doesn't move at all.It's the heatsink that came with the CPU (With the gold AMD hologram on the hub of the fan). So, any suggestions on how to get it off?
Advertisement
How is it stuck on? Did it melt to it, or did you put something on it that is making it stick?
i think you need a 'bit' more force, that heatsink compound can really stick em on somtimes. try and work it back and forth (twisting motion), and it should eventually come free (I would do this with the chip securely in the board), don't be afraid to apply force, just be gentle and controlled with it.

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

Quote:Original post by ScottC
How is it stuck on? Did it melt to it, or did you put something on it that is making it stick?
I think it's just the heat paste stuff. It must really be stuck on though, because usually to remove the CPU you have to move that metal arm up to losen the CPU. But this time it just pulled straight out.

All the pins seem to be intact, so hopefully it's not knackered. I'll find out soon enough.

@EDI: Yeah, I'll try wiggling it and see what happens.
Just be careful... I ripped a CPU in half doing that, once. Thankfully, I could blame it on Dell's tech support (I didn't think it was a good idea to pull harder, but they did), and got a new one.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
pulling hard isn't a good plan... EDI has the idea, wiggle side to side while pulling upwards but not too hard, just enuff to help it with some give.

When I swapped my CPU between mobos I had to lift the heatsink off and had the same problem, just twist and pull, it'll come free in the end [smile]
There are two other options you can try.
1) Freeze the entire thing. This will make the heat-glue quite brittle, and it should break quite easily.
2) Heat the thing up (presumably by running the processor at full blast for a little while). That should make the glue soft and help it come off.

#2 is probably safer, but less likely to work. Should you attempt #1, for god's sake put it in a air-tight container (like a zip-loc bag). When it comes to the more direct approach of "pull harder", you're actually not doing too badly, thanks to the heat-spreader. With processors that are in direct contact with the heatsink, you stand a good chance of tearing part of the actual silicon structure right off the chip (and destroying it as a result). The nice metal casing on the A64s means this isn't possible. The worst result that's possible is pulling both the heatsink and processor right out of the mobo, despite the anchors. This will basically strip a hell of a lot of copper right off the pins. It won't destroy the chip, but it's not a nice thing either. (This is a very common event for people changing an A64. Be careful.)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Yay, I managed to get it of by twisting hard and pulling gently. My server is all working now. Well, it would be except my Win2k CD is borked. Joy...
Congrats! Think positive - at least you didn't fry some expensive electronics.
good work!

should probably call it the Oreo maneuver =D

most of the time pulling an Oreo cookie apart results in broken cookie,
however if you simply twist it you get two intact halves of cookie,
though you risk leaving most of the cream on one half, but that is hardly important in this case. (lol)

observe how the Oreo cookie resembles the processor and heat sink, mated with thermal compound

Disclaimer: don't eat your CPU and or Heat sink and don't lick the thermal compound. Don't try to insert an Oreo cookie into your socket 939 or any other electronic device. Do not refer to a double-stuffed Oreo as a 'Dual-Core Oreo'

Raymond Jacobs, Owner - Ethereal Darkness Interactive
www.EDIGames.com - EDIGamesCompany - @EDIGames

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement