Original Post
My old trusty 17" PanaSync SL70i CRT monitor is starting to show its age; it must be nearly seven years old now, the colour fairly faded, and recently the picture is starting to wobble a bit. So I think it might be time to look for a replacement. Since it's been so long since I've bought a monitor I'm unaware of what's out there and what will be best for me. I've started reading through a few online articles to get up to grips with the basics, but I'd like some recommendations from people like those who frequent this forum who probably have similar usage to me. I use my computer for a wide range of activities, from programming and writing documents through to art work (mostly vector based cartoon style in Inkscape), watching DVDs and playing games. My computer specs are reasonable but not powerhouse; my graphics card is older AGP Radeon 9700 Pro. I tend to do everything in 1024 by 768 these days, although that's partly because it looks best on my monitor at this age. However I'd be a bit worried that games might run slower than my computer can handle at higher resolutions that LCD screens have as native. I'm also unsure as to the best place to buy a monitor; probably the closest and easiest to get to computer store near me is the local Apple store, although there are some small PC stores dotted around the area. I'm a bit unsure about buying a monitor sight-unseen off the Internet as I'd prefer to see a model in operation before buying. Thanks for any and all recommendations and advice!