Original Post
LOTE, Lord of the Elementals So the deadline finally arrived. A new entry just got added to the list this morning in case you didn't notice. You are welcome to try and critisize it! I was asked for a discussion thread when I was editing my entry, and since I didn't have one, I'm putting this thread here to collect your feedback and pretend it has been the discussion thread from the beginning. The game is about laying down your elementals on a octile-grid board to fight the opposite elementals. The game manual contains detailed information about the game. Here are some more info in case you are wondering: 1. no sound, no music - because I couldn't find an artist. 2. "options" in main menu is grayed - because it's definitely something a game should have, but I was out of time to design a interface for that. 3. only windowed mode, no full screen mode - yes, that's an epic fail of my architecture design that I've hated since I realized it. I didn't have time to correct that. 4. no networking - originally the engine is designed with more than two players playing online in mind. Later I realized I won't have enough time to do it, and I wasn't sure of my network programming skills, so I dropped networking altogether and got away with a max 2 player engine. If you happen to run into some features that seem to be designed for a multiplayer game, don't be surprised. 5. cannot change input profiles - again the engine is ready for it, but I didn't have time to do it. I entered this contest at a very late stage, so there are tons of unfinished tasks out there. I hardly finished testing the engine, so there may be bugs you'll encounter. Feel free to tell me! Also I didn't have time for any optimization. Although its graphics are not complicated, I'm still noticing some performance problems on my computer. And there are lots of things that can be improved: 1. Full screen mode 2. Variable particle rendering with user settings on particle number/density 3. Variable particle rendering to allow users to zoom further if they have strong graphics cards 4. Hall of Fame 5. Custom game: select elemental type 6. Custom game: multiplayer 7. Custom game: LAN/WAN online game 8. User input key mapping tool 9. Options: graphics settings, audio settings, etc 10. Music and SFX 11. AI scripting, Map event scripting 12. Optimization I hope I'll have time and energy to do all these in the future. [Edited by - fang on April 11, 2010 10:49:48 PM]