What is 6 Degrees of Freedom???

Started by
11 comments, last by GuessWho 21 years, 10 months ago
So what is this 6 degree of freedom that i''ve been reading from some sites on the net about their engine? I''m a beginner (obviously) so I''m wond''ring, aren''t there 360 degrees? why limit to 6 degrees? Does this mean I can only move 6 degrees left/right/up/down on my FPS??? That''s quite odd... Any info would be great. Thanks.
Advertisement
left, right, up, down, forward, backward
I think 6 DOF refers to the ability to do arbitrary translations and arbitrary rotations in three axes: x, y and z.

[edited by - IndirectX on June 23, 2002 2:54:25 AM]
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
IndirectX got it right, while the AP only mentioned three (left/right is the same degree of freedom, as is up/down and forward/backward).

-Neophyte
Just for interest's sake then, how would a typical FPS be evaluated?

You can:
(Translation)
* Move backward/forward...
* Strafe left/right
* Jump (a little movement on the vertical, but gravity forces you down so it's not considered arbitrary?)

(Rotation)
* Turn left/right...
* Pitch up/down...
* Twist on the forward axis a little bit (peeking around corners, tilting to the side) - still not quite total freedom on that axis.

So how many degrees of freedom is that? 4?

[edited by - Waverider on June 23, 2002 7:36:10 AM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
I would say the typical modern FPS has 5 DOF (translation in all three directions, and rotation left/right and up/down).

IIRC Doom and Doom II had 4 DOF (the same as current FPS'' except it didn''t have rotation up/down).

Translation up/down may be limited by gravity, but at least it''s possible. A game such as Wolfenstein 3D would have only 3 DOF (translation forward/backward and left/right (i.e. no jumping), as well as rotation left/right).

At least the above is correct according to my understanding of the DOF concept.
quote:Original post by IndirectX
I think 6 DOF refers to the ability to do arbitrary translations and arbitrary rotations in three axes: x, y and z.

[edited by - IndirectX on June 23, 2002 2:54:25 AM]

so moving forward/backward is two, upward/downward is two,
and left/right is two, making it six degrees? why would they
call it "degrees"???
only 6dof game I know of is the Descent series of games as you can move along [translate] any of the axis and rotate around any of the axis at the same time (exmaple, forward, up and left while pitching forward, spinning left and rotating around)

flight sims dont allow this kind of movement, I cant remember if the Freespace series of games allows you to make that kinda move, and I''m damn sure a fps dont
It''s starting to become a catchphrase...you know how the marketing boyz at MS are pushing the whole "1 degree of seperation" puke for .NET? Same thing here..

The public doesn''t KNOW what 6 DOF actually means, but I''m sure as hell not gonna buy a title that only support *4* DOF! How archaic! How old fashioned! Are you telling me people used to LIVE with *4* DOF?? Why that HAS to be unconstitutional!

Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
quote:Original post by GuessWho
so moving forward/backward is two, upward/downward is two,
and left/right is two, making it six degrees?

No. Moving forward/backward is one, upward/downward is another one, left/right is yet another one degree, for a total of three degrees. Rotating about X axis (pitch), Y axis (yaw), and Z axis (roll) are three more degrees, for a total of six.
quote:
why would they call it "degrees"???

I don't know, fancy name?

[edited by - IndirectX on June 23, 2002 11:36:41 PM]
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement