Book recommendations?

Started by
23 comments, last by fup 21 years, 10 months ago
Seems Eric and I read many of the same books...

And I definitely agree with Signal to Noise & Signal Shattered.

Bob

[edited by - eeaiguy on July 1, 2002 2:52:06 PM]
Bob ScottAI Designer/ProgrammerStainless Steel Studios
Advertisement
I am glad (though not surprised) to see that William Gibson (you might have seen the movie Johnny Mnemonic, based on the short story in his book Burned On Chrome) and Philip K. Dick have been mentioned. I have to mention P.K. Dick''s novel Substance Death, which tells the tale of an undercover drugsquad agent and his descent into depravity, mainly because Dick hasnt only done short stories that then become movies.

I saw some of Orson Scott Card stuff mentioned. He has done quite a few series that are quite interesting. I really enjoyed the Homecoming series, for its mix of sci-fi and low tech, although I must say in this series OSC''s tendency to put a lot of emphasis on religion and God Almighty become almost tedious...
I absolutely adore the Alvin the Maker series, it''s just such a nice alternative history universe.
And for any programmer around here, try Lost Boys, brilliant stuff.

This year I discovered the works of the fabulous Terry Pratchett, and Laurell K Hamilton, but since I am getting kicked out of the library, this will be for another time...

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Timkin, i saw u mentioned the book "The age of spiritual machines." Now that is a good book. It got my brain cells firing in a great way.

"Computers are only as smart as their programers"
www.glhut.cjb.net<-still working on it.
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
quote:Original post by Geta
Harry Turtledove''s World at War - Alien invasion in the midst of WWII. Or how a lizard can really ruin your day.

Anything by David Brin, David Drake, Alan Dean Foster.

Verner Vinge''s A Fire upon the Deep - Best SciFi book of all time.

Tom Clancy - all the non-Op Center books

David Weber''s Honor Harrington Series - Tactical space combat that can be believed.

Stephen King''s Gunfighter Series

Eric

I''m no big fan of Tom Clancy (I find his stuff fairly dry, frankly), but to each his own. I would strongly recommend:

- Anything by H. Beam Piper;
- Anything by Mike Resnick, but especially his Birthright: The Book of Man collection of future history;
- The Charles Sheffield "Jupiter" series of books.

Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado

Ferretman
ferretman@gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado
GameAI.Com

quote:Original post by tHiSiSbOb
Timkin, i saw u mentioned the book "The age of spiritual machines." Now that is a good book. It got my brain cells firing in a great way.

Er, I don''t believe I did... I think you''re confusing me with someone else!

Cheers,

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement