Mysterious flashes

Started by
16 comments, last by Cipher2 21 years, 10 months ago
I''ve made a (2d)gui in dx8 and all polygons make a strange flash now and then at entirely random times. Fírst I thought I had a slow drawing method but when I tested it on two other computers I don''t see a slightest thing of the flashes. Since it ran without problem on them with worse gfx cards it must have something to do with my computersetup. One of the computers had xp and gf2mx while mine has 98 and gf3. Could it be windows 98? All other dx8 games run nice so I can''t see the problem. The flashes change from just flashing the polygon to flashing the whole vertical screen with the width of the polygons when changing SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING to HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING when calling CreateDevice. Maybe that could give a clue. This is really disturbing since no one else has this with the same executable.
Advertisement
Try using the reference rasterizer (D3DDEVTYPE_REF).
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
My GF3 needs the newest vendor drivers to run DDraw and D3D without weird flashes. Those drivers are not the newest NVIDIA detonators but rather 23.11 with some modifications. If I try any other drivers it looks ugly and has weird artifacts all over.
I really don''t want to you REF device since its terribly slow.. I actually had to hold down the exit button to make it exit the app. =)

That may be it.. I use nvidia''s latest drivers. I''ll try the vendor drivers again.. thanx
Which drivers do you use Anonymous? got a link?
http://www.palit.com.tw/

The site is bit slow but usually it''s not bad. Can''t guarantee anything, but their drivers worked for me.
Are you using OOP? I heard OOP can make polygons disapear

*cough* *cough*

inside
Editor42 ...builds worlds
Yeah I''m using lots of OOP programming =) but since it works on all computers except mine it shouldn''t be a problem.
This is really irritating.. sure no one has a better idea? I get some kind of flashes when playing neverwinter nights.. but none in gta 3. There must be something in the code that I can change.

Thanx for your help.
Coloured green/red flashes are the D3D debug runtime either complaining about something or simply filling in the surface so you can see any places where you present a surface which hasn''t been filled with data. It doesn''t happen in the retail version so if you want to play a game without that happening, simply switch to the retail in the control panel.

If however you''re getting occasional black flickers, I''ll guess at your hardware config:

VIA chipset in the motherboard, Creative sound chip/card, nVidia graphics hardware.

Another symptom you may get with the above is crackling sound under high graphics load.

Get the latest drivers for ALL of those components. Also get the latest service pack for your OS and the any CPU packs (such as the AMD miniport one).

If you''re lucky, new drivers for everything will help/solve it.

Allegedly the general reason for the problems with those 3 component vendors is the drivers written by each of them can be described as "agressive" in their use of PCI bus cycles. Each driver seems to expect it''ll be able to hog 100% of the bus cycles for its own hardware (PCILocks). Unfortunately 3 drivers all expecting 100% of the time causes problems - think of it as a tug-of-war whoever loses for a particular frame gets faulty output (black flashes, sound crackles, slowdowns etc).

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement