I can't draw, I have ZERO artistic abilities

Started by
12 comments, last by badblood909 21 years, 11 months ago
That was grammarific, anyway, I can''t draw, at all, its not one of those "I''m not an artist" rant, I mean, I really suck, beyond imagination, and I am not exagerating (sp?), since I was a kid, my parents noticed how bad my drawing was, the only thing I am complimented on is that I have a good taste in decorations, how things should look, etc. So, my question is, would learning a graphics API even make sense? I mean, I know next to nothing about OGL, DX, and the others, besides what anyone remotley interested to games would know. I need to know, I am getting an extra pay for working at my dad''s (my other topic), and want to make room in my list to know what to spend, call me high-maintnance, but it actually saves me ALOT of money to list things. Thanks in advance... TFK
-It's all in the blood...
Advertisement
First of all, I think you should post some pictures you have drawn, so we can get an idea of exactly how bad your art is. Maybe we could have a ''bad art'' competition to see who is the least artistic person here.

You can learn to draw. If you already have critical eye, then it is just a case of learning some artistic techniques, and careful observation.

Having said that, being rubbish at art will make absolutely no difference to whether you can do graphics programming. You can get models and textures off the net, or get an artistically inclined friend to make them for you, all you need to be able to do is load in the appropriate files and splat them onto the screen.
Scanning such bad pics would **** up my scanner, no thank you.

I mean, for example, when imagining water, it doesn''t need "drawing", water is transparent, which can be easily controller using an API, how water flows, etc, thats all physics and math, I am good at physics and math, would my drawing skills have anything to do with that?

Same thing with lighting?
Hmm, badblood909, no offense, but you have some very depressing posts.

As far as the topic. Just practice and read. If you want be a better drawer, practice. If you want to get good with an API, read everything about it (this site has a gazillion articless) and practice what you read. There''s not much more you can do than some good ol'' fashioned hard work.
You don''t have to be good at art to be an amazing graphics programmer. However, you have to bear in mind that even if you are an amazing graphics programmer, your engines will never look their best without good textures and models, and these will require some artistic skill to produce. But I wouldn''t worry too much about this - no one expects programmer art to look that great anyway.
Thank you all, you gave me hope...

Back to my original plans...

*makes love to OpenGL*

What do you mean I have depressing posts?

I am a bit paranoid, seriously.
I am a horrid artist too, and no, it cannot be improved. I have tried Also, it really is as bad as I say. I am stuck to drawing simple things.

Anyway, I have found a partial solution to that problem. Write some code that will load common model formats, such as md3 or 3dsmax models, and you won''t have to draw your own! There are sites out there that provide free 3D models.

Textures, I tend to draw myself. I think a sci-fi game would be good for me, because my textures certainly do not look like they come from this world.

quote:Original post by badblood909
*makes love to OpenGL*

hey, OpenGL isn''t some cheap slut of an API. You must be thinking of D3D

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

That''s why he makes love to OpenGL. =D D3D is kinda different, in that you **** it. Or it ****s you. =D

-=Lohrno
If it''s Microsoft, it ****s you...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement