Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

I can't draw, I have ZERO artistic abilities

Started by badblood909 Jun 24, 2002 at 8:41 AM 12 replies 850+ views
Original Post
badblood909
badblood909
That was grammarific, anyway, I can''t draw, at all, its not one of those "I''m not an artist" rant, I mean, I really suck, beyond imagination, and I am not exagerating (sp?), since I was a kid, my parents noticed how bad my drawing was, the only thing I am complimented on is that I have a good taste in decorations, how things should look, etc. So, my question is, would learning a graphics API even make sense? I mean, I know next to nothing about OGL, DX, and the others, besides what anyone remotley interested to games would know. I need to know, I am getting an extra pay for working at my dad''s (my other topic), and want to make room in my list to know what to spend, call me high-maintnance, but it actually saves me ALOT of money to list things. Thanks in advance... TFK
-It's all in the blood...
Sandman
Sandman
First of all, I think you should post some pictures you have drawn, so we can get an idea of exactly how bad your art is. Maybe we could have a ''bad art'' competition to see who is the least artistic person here.

You can learn to draw. If you already have critical eye, then it is just a case of learning some artistic techniques, and careful observation.

Having said that, being rubbish at art will make absolutely no difference to whether you can do graphics programming. You can get models and textures off the net, or get an artistically inclined friend to make them for you, all you need to be able to do is load in the appropriate files and splat them onto the screen.
badblood909
badblood909
Scanning such bad pics would **** up my scanner, no thank you.

I mean, for example, when imagining water, it doesn''t need "drawing", water is transparent, which can be easily controller using an API, how water flows, etc, thats all physics and math, I am good at physics and math, would my drawing skills have anything to do with that?

Same thing with lighting?
-It's all in the blood...
BitBlt
BitBlt
Hmm, badblood909, no offense, but you have some very depressing posts.

As far as the topic. Just practice and read. If you want be a better drawer, practice. If you want to get good with an API, read everything about it (this site has a gazillion articless) and practice what you read. There''s not much more you can do than some good ol'' fashioned hard work.
Sandman
Sandman
You don''t have to be good at art to be an amazing graphics programmer. However, you have to bear in mind that even if you are an amazing graphics programmer, your engines will never look their best without good textures and models, and these will require some artistic skill to produce. But I wouldn''t worry too much about this - no one expects programmer art to look that great anyway.
badblood909
badblood909
Thank you all, you gave me hope...


Back to my original plans...


*makes love to OpenGL*

What do you mean I have depressing posts?

I am a bit paranoid, seriously.
-It's all in the blood...
mutex
mutex
I am a horrid artist too, and no, it cannot be improved. I have tried Also, it really is as bad as I say. I am stuck to drawing simple things.

Anyway, I have found a partial solution to that problem. Write some code that will load common model formats, such as md3 or 3dsmax models, and you won''t have to draw your own! There are sites out there that provide free 3D models.

Textures, I tend to draw myself. I think a sci-fi game would be good for me, because my textures certainly do not look like they come from this world.

Lohrno
Lohrno
That''s why he makes love to OpenGL. =D D3D is kinda different, in that you **** it. Or it ****s you. =D

-=Lohrno
badblood909
badblood909
If it''s Microsoft, it ****s you...

-It's all in the blood...
LockePick
LockePick
Don''t worry about not being able to draw.
3D modelling is very different from drawing, it''s much more like sculpting. I''m good at it, and can''t draw anything past circle-form

You can make love to OpenGL, but you must be passionate and considerate, confident and not overly cocky (pun intended).

------------
aud.vze.com - The Audacious Engine <-- It''s not much, yet. But it''s mine... my own... my preciousssss...
MSN: nmaster42@hotmail.com, AIM: LockePick42, ICQ: 74128155
amish1234
amish1234
3D modeling is very different from drawing. You can make some crappy models for now, and when you''ve got 1/2 an engine find an artist in the forums who''s looking for a project. BTW, OpenGL is a cheap slut that you can have sex with, while D3D is the kind of API you make love to and put the toilet seat down for.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Yann L
Yann L
quote:

while D3D is the kind of API you make love to and put the toilet seat down for.


Thanks to Benjamin Bunny''s scientific proof, we all know what can happen if you make love to D3D...
badblood909
badblood909
quote:
Original post by LockePick
and not overly cocky (pun intended)



Consider that done....

Uh, nevermind.

-It's all in the blood...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.