Character creation

Started by
24 comments, last by gpalin 21 years, 9 months ago
quote:I''m just wondering if you have a Maxlength for the user''s name input textbox. You should implement one if you don''t have one already.

I have now!

Grant Palin
Grant Palin
Advertisement
quote:Original post by gamechampionx
Being an experienced VB programmer, I would like to say that your form layout is very nice.

Ahh, another VB user! Just what I need! I wonder if you could help me with a problem in the game...I have a progress bar showing the amount of Hit Points the enemy has, but, whenever I defeat an enemy, I get an error message on the line that updates the current value of the progress bar. I can send you my source code, if you want to see what I''m talking about. Or I could post the important code online. Please let me know!

Grant Palin
Grant Palin
quote:Original post by gpalin
Ahh, another VB user! Just what I need! I wonder if you could help me with a problem in the game...I have a progress bar showing the amount of Hit Points the enemy has, but, whenever I defeat an enemy, I get an error message on the line that updates the current value of the progress bar.

yah, not everyone thinks VB is the devil...
anyways, (assuming you are using the MS Windows Common Controls ProgressBar control) you are most likely trying to set the "value" member of the progress bar to a number outside the valid range of numbers. there is a "min" and "max" property in the progress bar, and "value" must be between these (inclusive).
is it possible that when you kill an enemy his HP goes below zero?

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
quote:Original post by krez
yah, not everyone thinks VB is the devil...

I like it a lot, actually. It''s a quick way to jump into programming, and it''s much easier than some other languages. I''ve liked the visual design interface from the first day I used VB.

quote:Anyways, (assuming you are using the MS Windows Common Controls ProgressBar control) you are most likely trying to set the "value" member of the progress bar to a number outside the valid range of numbers. there is a "min" and "max" property in the progress bar, and "value" must be between these (inclusive).
is it possible that when you kill an enemy his HP goes below zero?

Yes I was using the Windows Common Controls form of the progress bar. And thanks for that tip- I think that''s just what the problem was. I had a set of commands for updating the enemy''s HP bar, decreasing it whenever I hit the enemy. I moved that into an if block which executes only if the current HP is between 0 and the enemy''s max HP. elseif was to end the battle, the enemy''s HP having fallen below 0. Thanks for the advice! That''s got that irritant out of my hair now.

Grant Palin
Grant Palin
I''m making some changes to the Character Creation form...I''ll put up a new copy for you people to goggle at later ;-) Right now, I have several frames on the form for the various stages of character creation, each containing Option Buttons to choose class, race, sex, etc. I''m trying to create a Reset button which resets all the options (in case you want to start over). Anyway, I can''t get it to set all the option buttons to false. I''ve tried calling the form_load procedure, but the buttons didn''t change. I tried a loop, going through all the buttons, but that didn''t work either. Might be something about them being in frames... Can anyone help me?

Grant Palin
Grant Palin
Never mind my previous post, I figured it out.

I''ve now uploaded the new version of the game. The changes are all improvements to the character creation form. It''s now a more step-by-step process than before...I think it''s better that way. I''ll now see about changing my stat system from random stat generation to specific stats and bonuses for race and class chosen. Anyway, see what I''ve got up now, and keep up witht he comments!

Here''s the link again:

http://www.freewebz.com/hommworld/other/TextRPG.zip

Grant Palin
Grant Palin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement