Quake 2 source...

Started by
7 comments, last by elis-cool 21 years, 10 months ago
Well I downloaded it, and well, its more than a little confusing, I have no idea where to start, I mean come on, couldnt they choose some more informitive variable names!! also there are like 5 projects in it and stuff, a couple hundred files etc... I couldnt even find the WinMain!! The thing I like about my games is that I know about everything, where it is, what it does etc... I do admit though, and it may seem trival to some, but im my 5 mins of browsing the code, I did learn some stuff that I didnt really think of, and im sure there are many many more useful things that I would learn from it, but I do need some help with it, could someone help me or is there a tutorial or a link or something you could point me too? CEO Plunder Studios
[email=esheppard@gmail.com]esheppard@gmail.com[/email]
Advertisement
I haven''t seen the q2 source (could you post your link where you got it from as I wouldn''t mind having a look though) but it is worth keeping in mind that all stuff written by id is written by a very small team. they know exactly where everything is just like you do with your code - they didn''t write it so it''d be easy for anyone else to read but themselves. Its a bloody cool thing that they release the source at all - cheers to ''em all.
Don''t give up though - you''re right, there''d be tons of stuff to learn in there.
Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray
Glad you could download it. I havn''t had much luck yet.

Stephen
I just downloaded the source from somwhere, version 2.3.21. If you dig some, you''ll find the WinMain() function in win32/sys_win.c, or quake2 files/Source files/sys_win.c
Well I got it quite a while ago, but I just decided to actually read it now, im sure a quick search on google would turn up many results...

CEO Plunder Studios
went to www.idsoftware.com

found these snippets within 2 minutes...

Q3A 1.27g Game Source This is the combined source code for Quake III Arena and Quake III: Team Arena. It can be used to build the 1.27g point release or the Team Arena release. It contains buildable project files and all related game source code as well as prebuilt tool executables....

Quake II Source (GPL) Full source code for Quake II. This source code is released under the terms of the GNU Public License. 1.4MB ....

the link is as follows

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/quake2.zip

"... We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft The Call to Cthulu
Q2''s WinMain is located in sys_win.c. The WNDCLASS stuff is found in glw_imp.c and rw_imp.c. There''s a WndProc in vid_dll.c. I found these using the windows explorer search facility. How they interact - and even if they do interact - is another question all together. The code is very interesting to say the least.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
quote:Original post by LessBread
Q2''s WinMain is located in sys_win.c. The WNDCLASS stuff is found in glw_imp.c and rw_imp.c. There''s a WndProc in vid_dll.c. I found these using the windows explorer search facility. How they interact - and even if they do interact - is another question all together. The code is very interesting to say the least.

Thanks man, and yeah, uh "interesting" is the word. I found myself thinking, uh what the hell is going on here, eg just look at the code in the WinMain func, its uh... well severly messed up...

CEO Plunder Studios
I have no problems with id''s code (Wolf3d, DOOM, Quake...), but maybe I just got used to it (looked at their code from when they first released source). Your right, you will learn a LOT from their code. The QuakeII code has no gas, just MASM code (lame, but apparently easier to read).
The Quake II engine is a bit lame (just Quake with a few things like radiosity lighting (done on lightmaps) and proper OpenGL \DirectHell support).
I must say that DOOM III looks impressive and that I cannot wait for the Quake III source code release (I hope it comes along!).

Stick with it

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement