GNOME 2.0

Started by
8 comments, last by Strife 21 years, 10 months ago
Anybody tried GNOME 2.0 yet? Most likely, I''m going to wait for some Slack packs of it, unless that takes too long. The screen shots look very nice. Finally, GNOME''s got antialiased fonts Oh, and in case you care, I just got Slack 8.1, and it r0x0rz my b0x0rz I''m using the ext3 filesystem now, and I''m liking it. rm -rf /bin/laden
Advertisement
Haven''t tried it yet ... I''m happy with KDE ...
quote:Original post by CmndrM
Oh, and in case you care, I just got Slack 8.1, and it r0x0rz my b0x0rz

I concur . Installed it a week ago.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I''ve been using ext3 for a long time now (I got bored, and boredom leads to me recompiling my kernel ), and I''m never switching back from a journaled filesystem as long as I have a choice . What did it for me: one day my power was going out every 45 minutes (4 or 5 times), and the restart was as if nothing had happened .

I''m using Gnome 1.4 at the moment, all I want out of Gnome 2.0+ is less of a memory footprint (I haven''t tried it yet, in other words, so I don''t know what it''s like). I much prefer using lightweight WM''s, for some reason, even though I have the memory to spare. You''re right about the fonts (but I think that''s part of GTK+ 2.0?), they look nice from what I''ve seen in screenshots. If someone can tell me what their memory usage in Gnome 1.4 was and their memory usage in Gnome 2.0 is, I''d much appreciate it. I''ll let Debian Unstable bring me to Gnome 2.0 when it wants to .

Yeah, GTK 2.0 is supposed to be nice... The only downside is the lack of backwards compatibility. It''s supposed to be much faster though, especially compared to the earlier version when using pixmap based themes.

rm -rf /bin/laden
Re: Journaling filesystems: Goodbye long fsck times!

I switched my old Linux box (since discarded; I''m in the market for new machines) to ReiserFS back when Reiser was still fighting with Cox and Co over preferential treatment for the then still-in-alpha ext3 (he felt they were delaying accepting reiserfs into the kernel so ext3 could become the "official" journaling filesystem instead, allegedly because of friendships and "nepotism" or some such rot). There''s something to be said for an OS that lets you get back up from a severe crash on 40 gigs in 2.7 seconds...
Yup, journaling rocks. Although I''ve now only used ext2 and ext3 (on Linux systems anyway), I can''t say I''ve noticed any difference in speed. Actually, it may just be me, but it seems like ext3 is actually faster than ext2. I could just be imagining things, though.

If there was only one thing that I liked about Linux, it would have to be the choices. I think it''s great that you can choose every detail of your operating system, right down to the type of filesystem it uses. This extreme customization really lets you get the most out of your machine. If you could customize Windows more like this, I''d like it a lot more

rm -rf /bin/laden
Of course, NTFS has been a journaling file system since NT4 (SP4 I think)

codeka.com - Just click it.
I am really not that interested in GNOME 2, since I have used kde 3, I really don''t feel the need for a new gui for my linux. Although also with the journaled fs after one fsck which killed most of my mandrake install, I have been using ext3 since then.. because I don''t want random stuff dying again. The journaled fs was also on of MSes reasons that they had posted on their site that nt was a better solution than linux, if my memory serves me correctly. I don''t really thing that there are any advantages for an NT based solution, as far as the os is concerned, the rest will probably be up to the software writers.
I''ve been using GNOME 1.4 for a long time now, with Nautilus, and been able to do everything I want with it; I even have an anti-aliased font hack (gdkxft I believe it''s called...same letters, maybe different ordering) which makes it look great, although it messes up some on gvim and doesn''t effect Mozilla 1.0 (they had a hack for that too but it was for an earlier version)...

But I''m still intrigued by GNOME 2.0; I''ve heard it''s a little unstable, so I''m going to wait a month or so, let the silt settle a bit. The GTK 1.x incompatability problem is definitely a turn-off; I''ve heard that there''s a way for them to co-exist but I haven''t found out how...couldn''t someone make a GTK 1.x wrapper that interfaced to GTK 2, or is there too vast a difference?
Oh well, I''m looking forward to it when it stabalizes.

As for journeled filesystems, they save my life more often then not. My laptop, which runs Linux has a loose power plug, so if I leave it on, there''s the possibility of it running out of battery power and doing a hard powerdown. On my desktop, which my dad uses as well, I have Windows and a Linux partition...whenever my dad comes up to the computer and it has Linux up, even when the graphical login has a ''reboot'' button, he literally pulls the plug and restarts to Windows.

Well, cheers, everyone!

-erydo-
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]
I can''t seem to get gdkxft to work correctly... I suppose that means I must rtfm.

rm -rf /bin/laden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement