texturing a heightmap

Started by
5 comments, last by robirt 21 years, 9 months ago
what is a good way for texturing a heightmap? Right now i am rendering as triangle strips and i have been having problems getting this to work. When i put glBindTexture between glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP) and glEnd, it doesnt work. also i have heard that it is best to render all polygons of the same texture at the same time. so you dont call bindtexture for the same texture more than once a frame. someone help please
Rodger
Advertisement
quote:
When i put glBindTexture between glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP) and glEnd, it doesnt work.

Calling glBindTexture() between a Begin/End pair is invalid, the command will be ignored. Put your glBindTexture call before glBegin.

quote:
also i have heard that it is best to render all polygons of the same texture at the same time. so you dont call bindtexture for the same texture more than once a frame

You heard right.

Example:
glBindTexture(...texture1...)glBegin(...)... draw geometry using texture 1glEnd()glBindTexture(...texture2...)glBegin(...)... draw geometry using texture 2glEnd()etc... 

BTW: Moved to the OpenGL forum.

/ Yann
thanks. so, will i have to give up on the triangle strips since there may be different textures or what?

my terrain rendering code is something like this:

for(x=1; x++; x<32)
{
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
for(x=1; x++; x<32)
{
glBindTexture();
//draw 4 vertices (2 triangles) from heightmap
}
glEnd();
}

i know this doesnt work, but can you tell me a correct way to get the results i want?
Rodger
The reason it doesn''t work may have something to do with the fact that you APPEAR to have the syntax of the for loop a little wrong. The loop as you have written it won''t generate errors, but it won''t accomplish what you want it too either.

I think you want...

for(i = 0; i < 32; i++)
{
}

This may be the kind of form you should look at:

glBindTexture();glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);for(i=1; i<32; i++){for(j=1; j<32; j++){//draw 4 vertices (2 triangles) from heightmapif (item [i][j] has a different texture){glEnd();glBindTexture(); // new textureglBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);}}}    

Also, because heightmaps don't generally change, you may want to consider using display lists if you aren't already.

(Note: this is an idea off the top of my head and is certain to have flaws)

And the Phoenix shall rise from the ashes...

--Thunder_Hawk -- ¦þ

[edited by - Thunder_Hawk on July 1, 2002 11:59:00 PM]
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
that loop code wasnt exact from my code, it is correct in my real code.

anyway, I will try thunderhawks idea, but i am planning on having fully deformable terrain, so i dont use a display list.
Thanks all.

btw how do i make a textbox for code in the forum?
Rodger
You can use the [ source ] [ /source ] tags or the older tags. Check out the forum faq( labeled as "faq" ) on any page of the forums.
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement